Menu
Dialled in
Message 1 of 10 (238 Views)

Being sent a SH3 but prefer to use my existing SH2ac

Currently using a SH2ac at 100 Mbps and very happy with no problems.

After calling retentions and asking them if I could replace my slow TiVo for a V6 they offered me a package deal which includes a SH3.

My question is I would like to keep using my SH2ac, so when the kit arrives next week can I just ring the automated activation number and connect my new V6 box to my SH2ac and send the SH3 back.

My concern is that my SH2ac will stop working after ringing the automated activation number.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Dialled in
Message 10 of 10 (166 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by John_G (Moderator)
‎01-06-2017 18:51

Re: Being sent a SH3 but prefer to use my existing SH2ac

Update that may help others in a similar situation.

My V6 Self install kit arrived as planned including the SH3.

Rang the number to activate the new V6 and all went well to begin with.

The V6 connected successfully to my SH2ac and it started the initial download but after rebooting it requested a further download but reported an error and this process could not be completed.

After checking my SH2ac I found it to be offline and it was constantly rebooting trying to reconnect.

I contacted tech support and explained the situation and they confirmed that my SH2ac had been disconnected because the network was expecting to see a SH3. Smiley Sad

It looks like the automated call to activate my new V6 also included the activation of the SH3.

I have to say the tech guys were very helpful and understanding of my request for me to retain my SH2ac and they arranged for it to be re-enabled on the network.

Although it took a little while my SH2ac finally reconnected to the network and this allowed the final software download to the V6 to be completed.

All now working fine and very happy. Smiley Very Happy

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Superfast
Message 2 of 10 (227 Views)

I can't speak from any kind of experience bit I would have thought that both the v6 and H3 would be seperate activations so your SH2ac should continue to work if you don't activate the H3

--------
I do not work for virgin media any opinions I have are my own
I will help out when possible but know that some information may be incorrect or out of date

If you find any post helpful don't forget to click the kudos button and mark answers as helpful as this may help other users with the same questions
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 3 of 10 (222 Views)

OK thanks, that’s reassuring.Smiley Very Happy

Must admit, I did not realise that the V6 and SH3 activation processes were separate.

Could someone please confirm?

0 Kudos
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 10 (203 Views)

The SHub 2ac has much fewer download channels about 8 in our area whereas the SHub 3 has up to 24 channels, to cope with the V6 and broadband simultaneously, if you stay with the 2ac you are going to be handicapped by utilisation and bandwidth, if others in your area are also getting V6 and SHub3.

0 Kudos
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 10 (190 Views)

Keep the sh2ac at least until the problems with hub 3 are resolved its a better modem
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 6 of 10 (181 Views)

Yes, that's what I hope I am able to do for the reasons you describe. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 7 of 10 (163 Views)

[ Edited ]

Buffer6 wrote:

The SHub 2ac has much fewer download channels about 8 in our area whereas the SHub 3 has up to 24 channels,

True.

to cope with the V6 and broadband simultaneously,

That doesn't make sense, because if the V6 is using the Hub's bandwidth by wifi he'd still be limited to 100Mb tier on a Hub 3 with 24 channels. And if it's not then it doesn't matter what Hub he has.

if you stay with the 2ac you are going to be handicapped by utilisation and bandwidth, if others in your area are also getting V6 and SHub3.

Not true. Utilisation would go down on the same set of 8 channels because Hub 3's would spread the load across 24 channels instead. Utilisation may or may not go up over time, but it's not a definite he has to move to a Hub 3 right now.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 8 of 10 (162 Views)

techifan wrote:

Yes, that's what I hope I am able to do for the reasons you describe. Smiley Happy

Just don't activate the Hub 3 when you get it. If they ask for a hub back then send the Hub 3, otherwise hold on to it, could be useful in the future.

Dialled in
Message 9 of 10 (151 Views)

Thanks for the information and advice.
0 Kudos
Dialled in
Message 10 of 10 (167 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by John_G (Moderator)
‎01-06-2017 18:51

Update that may help others in a similar situation.

My V6 Self install kit arrived as planned including the SH3.

Rang the number to activate the new V6 and all went well to begin with.

The V6 connected successfully to my SH2ac and it started the initial download but after rebooting it requested a further download but reported an error and this process could not be completed.

After checking my SH2ac I found it to be offline and it was constantly rebooting trying to reconnect.

I contacted tech support and explained the situation and they confirmed that my SH2ac had been disconnected because the network was expecting to see a SH3. Smiley Sad

It looks like the automated call to activate my new V6 also included the activation of the SH3.

I have to say the tech guys were very helpful and understanding of my request for me to retain my SH2ac and they arranged for it to be re-enabled on the network.

Although it took a little while my SH2ac finally reconnected to the network and this allowed the final software download to the V6 to be completed.

All now working fine and very happy. Smiley Very Happy