Menu
fizzyade
Dialled in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Area 03/ SM4 6

Is it down? Service status says no, but both tivos and my broadband are dead....
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Area 03/ SM4 6

I'm replying from area 03 in KT3. It is not down. You may have an individual or local circuit fault. Ring it in. 150 on your VM phone - Broadband faults and mention the TV.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm replying from area 03 in KT3. It is not down. You may have an individual or local circuit fault. Ring it in. 150 on your VM phone - Broadband faults and mention the TV.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
fizzyade
Dialled in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Phoned, 2 weeks apparently to get an engineer out.

I work from home.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

The residential service has no guarantees on up time. If the internet is business critical for you, you need a business account from VM business which does have an SLA on getting you back up running.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
fizzyade
Dialled in
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Oh I know, but even then, 2 weeks is pushing it.

I'm now looking around for other providers seeing as I'm out of contract and see what broadband+tv deal I can come up with seeing as I'm out of contract and will probably be up and running quicker than waiting for virgin to sort this.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

2 weeks is about the time that BT Openreach would take to get to a similar fault on their DSL circuits for residential customers. You'll have to give 30 days notice to leave VM. You are never out of contract with VM. The terms of the contract change after you have completed your minimum service period during which you would be liable for early leaving charges if you end the contract..

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
fizzyade
Dialled in
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

As in, I'm outside of my minimum period, which ended many years ago. I don't count a 30 day notice period as being anything other than normal.
0 Kudos
fizzyade
Dialled in
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

And just like that *Ding*, it all came back online. lol

I'm also rather fortunate in that I have family connections to both openreach and BT, so when I have had faults on my service they always get escalated via another route - but I accept that's not a normal thing!

Btw, since it came back online....

Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 09.47.49.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I am pleased for you. I did check my post code and nothing showed up on service status so as I suspected it was a local fault which has now been cleared. Why VM couldn't have told you this when you phoned is beyond me. Their CS over the phone leaves much to be desired. If you left VM for a BT linked provider I wouldn't be at all surprised. Still you should consider the resilience of your connection and the ability of your ISP to get you back up and running if the internet is business critical for you.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
fizzyade
Dialled in
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Me too! lol

To be honest, I'm very lucky with my connection - I rarely have problems with it, it occasionally goes down for 5 minutes here and there, but I don't every really seem to suffer with utilisation problems.

I had an issue with the SH2ac I had crashing in modem mode, but the excellent HeatherJ sorted that for me and also fixed my connection speed which was telling me I could have 200/12 but then gave me no option - again CS on the phone were useless and kept telling me to keep checking the site to see when I could get the upgrade, I kept saying "Yes, but it's telling me it's ready", oh, you need to keep checking that site....sigh!

I ended up with SH3 and accepted it hoping that intel would fix the bug, if/when we get the fix which appears to be under testing in the USA at the moment is another matter, but I'm not an online gamer, so barring the DNS lookup latency it doesn't really bother me. Not had a single crash in modem mode since switch over to it, which is nice, was getting a bit frustrating having to reset the 2ac a couple of times a day after it locked up.

What I have noticed with both the 2ac and 3 is that when the connection goes down, the LAN web interface stops responding until the WAN comes back up again, not every time, but I see this occasionally.  Other than that, works pretty nicely with my Mikrotik Hex Gr3 router which is one of the best and cheapest bits of kit I've bought in a long time, I suppose I could set this up with some sort of failover.

It's just very frustrating when your on the end of the phone with CS and all they flippantly say "We can get an engineer out to you on the 17th of March", even prefixing it with "I'm really sorry, but our engineers are so busy that the earliest we can get to you is" - that's just a huge amount of time to potentially leave somebody without any service.

0 Kudos