cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Network Error Search (ANES) opt out - resolved

ModTeam

We are aware some customers are unable to opt out of the Advanced Network Error Search (ANES) using the online option.

We are currently working to resolve this issue but in the meantime you can either contact Web Chat or call the our technical support team on 150 from a Virgin landline or alternatively 0345 454 1111.

If you'd prefer us to get this done for you please pop a post on this thread and one of the mod team will contact you as soon as we can.

This issue should now be resolved.

Please opt out using your home connection on this website https://my.virginmedia.com/advancederrorsearch/ and if you have any problems please let us know.

114 REPLIES 114

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ModTeam

Do we have an update on when the web site is likely to be fixed?  You guys should not be having to do this.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

kalinev
Joining in

Hi there,

I've got the same problem with ANES. What should I do to disable this service as theonline link is still not working?

Stephen_B
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi all,

This sticky has been updated to reflect that this issue should now be resolved.

Many thanks for all your patience

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Stephen_B

Thanks for the update I can confirm it's working for me to turn both ANES on and off.

Visited - https://my.virginmedia.com/advancederrorsearch and switched  it on.

The URL I'm dig'ing here is non existent.

C:\Users\timdu>dig -4 timmothydutton.co.uk

; <<>> DiG 9.11.0-P3 <<>> -4 timmothydutton.co.uk
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 46614
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;timmothydutton.co.uk.          IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
timmothydutton.co.uk.   0       IN      A       81.200.64.50

;; Query time: 34 msec
;; SERVER: 194.168.4.100#53(194.168.4.100)
;; WHEN: Thu Sep 21 11:47:09 GMT Summer Time 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 65

This is expected behaviour with ANES on

Visited the link above and switched ANES off again.

C:\Users\timdu>dig -4 timmothydutton.co.uk

; <<>> DiG 9.11.0-P3 <<>> -4 timmothydutton.co.uk
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 11364
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;timmothydutton.co.uk.          IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
co.uk.                  10738   IN      SOA     dns1.nic.uk. hostmaster.nominet.org.uk. 1305924925 900 300 2419200 10800

;; Query time: 16 msec
;; SERVER: 194.168.4.100#53(194.168.4.100)
;; WHEN: Thu Sep 21 11:48:12 GMT Summer Time 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 117

I get the expected NXDOMAIN error.

Thanks guys.

Tim

Edit - As stated in the opening sticky - The URL will only work from your home connection as it works based on the connecting IP.  So don't go try changing the ANES state from anywhere else.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Brilliant news Tim.

Thanks for testing it.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

karanzale
Joining in

I am also facing same issue on my blog of rowing machine, above given solution did not help me please suggest what should i do to get rid of this network error.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What issue are you facing?  And what happens when you go to https://my.virginmedia.com/advancederrorsearch/settings.

The page is definitely up and running when I try it.  You MUST be connecting from your Virgin Media home IP in order to switch this off.  But as I've stated before the only thing that ANES intercepts is a failed DNS lookup.

Tim

Sadly, this problem is not resolved. Yes, I can now access the page where the ANES can be switched off - and it is off - but I am still getting a page of Virgin Media search results when I mis-type a url. And a message saying "This service is optional and you can switch it off here".

GuildfordQuin
On our wavelength

I am unable to connect to my work VPN; I have tried the suggested routes of enabling Pass-through options without success.

A work colleague told me this was resolved by Virgin turning off the Auto Error Connection Function however apparently he had to request it via this forum.

All assistance welcome.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Go here

https://my.virginmedia.com/advancederrorsearch/settings

The page has been fixed.  Just click the radio button and hit Save

Tim

Edit - you have to do it from your home connection though.