cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced Network Error Search (ANES) opt out - resolved

ModTeam

We are aware some customers are unable to opt out of the Advanced Network Error Search (ANES) using the online option.

We are currently working to resolve this issue but in the meantime you can either contact Web Chat or call the our technical support team on 150 from a Virgin landline or alternatively 0345 454 1111.

If you'd prefer us to get this done for you please pop a post on this thread and one of the mod team will contact you as soon as we can.

This issue should now be resolved.

Please opt out using your home connection on this website https://my.virginmedia.com/advancederrorsearch/ and if you have any problems please let us know.

114 REPLIES 114

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

ANES does not redirect valid DNS lookups.  And SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR refers to a failure to do a SSL/TLS handshake after making a connection to a port that supports SSL/TLS encryption.

Knowing the site you are attempting to navigate to might help.

Post the results of the following.

nslookup <site name>

Where <site name> is the domain name of the site.  For example if you are trying to navigate to a URL www.somedomain/somepage.html

Then the command would be

nslookup www.somedomain

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

andy_d
On our wavelength

I too want to turn off ANES to use my work laptop. A colleague had exactly the same issue and turning off ANES sorted it. Very disappointed that the web page doesn't work (Oops, something's broken) and apparently hasn't worked for months. I tried phoning - they put me through to Gadget Rescue, but they haven't phoned me back and I see that is a chargeable service.

Can you help please?

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ModTeam  Can you ask someone to revisit and assist these users.  Also can you look into why andy_d was transferred to gadget rescue.  That should not have happened and the correct process for turning ANES off should be fed back to the agent.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

leilamanson
Joining in

Hi,

How can I get the 'Advanced Network Error Search' removed from my laptop?

They say it is optional but I never optionally wanted to have this on my laptop and cannot seem to get rid of it as the link that they say will remove it from my laptop is dead and doesn't work. Additionally the number they say to ring isn't helpful 0345 454 1111.

Any help is appreciated as I really really need to get rid of this.

Thanks

armunro
Tuning in

It would seem the link on the page to get it turned off is broken, and the advice about calling virgin and pressing 2 is also wrong. Its causing me no end of problems developing microservices in kubernetes/openshift. In effect it hijaks your dns and I can't get anything resolved in a container; everything resolves to advancedsearch.virginmedia.com:

$ docker exec -it d1cfb8304899 ping github.com
PING github.com.mydomain.com (************) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from advancedsearch.virginmedia.com (81.200.64.50): icmp_seq=1 ttl=46 time=18.1 ms

I would say this is a terrible idea,and virgin should get rid of it!

Well I tried to call in, but it insists on running tests against my equipment... Then I am hung up after this. So how do you call someone and talk to someone about it? Mods: if you can help that would be great.

It would be great if the link is fixed to disable the advanced search; not only would that save me time but it would save Virgin time and money too.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ModTeam

It's now been over TWO MONTHS since you identified a problem with users being able to update their ANES settings.  While one might allow a REASONABLE amount of time to fix this, that time is now past.

• If you are not going to fix it you should DISABLE this feature for ALL users.
  • In addition although first line support are supposed to be able to set this up manually, it seems that some of them still do not know the correct steps.  In at least one case a user has been redirected to Gadget rescue which is of course A CHARGEABLE SERVICE.  This should NEVER happen.
  • Personally, I object to any DNS manipulation, as it breaks how the web is supposed to work, while I accept that people should have a choice, I remain opposed to not only ANES but also Web safe, which has on occasion proved more problematical than ANES.

Tim

While I wait for virgin to look at this, I suspect a work around would be to override the Virgin dns servers, and use someone elses (eg google or freedns).

Thus I am using Linux Mint (aka Ubuntu). Go into Network Manager (click on the network icon on the bar). Select Network Connections at the bottom. Edit your current connection. Click on the IP4 connections tab; change Automatic DHCP to Automatic DHCP addresses only, then enter your DNS servers (space/comma delimited); I used google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Then click on Save. Then disable and re-enable your network connection (eg turn off and on Wireless from the same drop down). Now we are resolving against google:

$ nslookup oracle.com
Server: 8.8.8.8
Address: 8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: oracle.com
Address: 137.254.120.50

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@armunro

I should point out as before that ANES does not completely DNS lookups.

If a search result fails (typically with an NXDOMAIN result) then ANES kicks in.  Otherwise the expected result is returned.

So your result actually suggests that the lookup in your earlier post failed.

Tim

Martynkenny
Tuning in

i can't use my work laptop on my virgin wifi as it shows advancedsearch2 error, i called the helpline and they were useless. can anyone help ?