Menu
Ramuneko
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

6-8 week delay

We recently moved & decided to switch our provider to Virgin Media, as we were promised to get our internet up & working on the 8th of March.
However, I was recently contacted that there would be a 6-8 week wait, since the construction team found a problem(still have not received info as to the nature of this problem specifically...). It baffles me that Virgin Media & their system missed this problem, and assured us that we would be able to get Broadband working by 8.3.
I even tested online just now & it says that my address is perfectly ready & suitable to be connected to Virgin Media broadband right away. So why is there a problem with the cable/installation/whatever it may be, when every system & test & even the people in store told us it would work as a swift standard procedure.

I was promised a call-back today("we will contact you within 5 days"), and have not heard back.
I visited the in-branch store and was told that in these cases we could be offered a) a discount and b) a wi-fi modem/dongle to use until the delay was done with. I was instructed to discuss this during the phonecall I was supposed to receive.

If a Virgin Media team member could explain to me why this "problem" didn't show up in your system, why we were promised to be connected on 8.3 and how we will find a solution to this problem. 2 extra months is unacceptable.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: 6-8 week delay

the system is telling you your area/street is in a VM area - from that it makes a basic assumption that you can get VM services - from there its a matter of actual checking - i would guess that they have tried to lay the underground cable from the street cabinet to your property and found a blockage in the duct - that being the case they need council permission to dig roads up i believe - the 6 to 8 weeks reflects the time it takes to get that permission planning the work and actually doing it so you are stuck with that - it may be other problems but thats the usual one

as to return calls they are as rare as hens teeth - well not quite as occasionally they do happen but your experience is typical - discounts - you may get something off your bill when you are finally connected - you will need to push that  - wifi dongles - dont think so unless policy has changed - that just sounds like wishful thinking on the stores part - worth checking with them again but if you dont walk out with one i dont know who is going to send you one

Tony
0 Kudos
Ramuneko
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Also to add, we do have a line coming to our house, with an openreach BT socket inside. But I guess that wouldn't be a factor in this, if the underground cable is the most probable problem.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

the two systems do not share the same infrastructure - having a BT line allows you to sign up with them or any of the others who use that system but VM is completely separate  

Tony
0 Kudos