Menu
Mbarlow007
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

200Mb self install question?

I have moved into a new house that has existing cabling, however I followed the quick start instructions for the 200mb broadband to the letter using the supplied cable and seems to work ok. My question is do I need to use the cable supplied, or can I use the existing cabling using some sort of female to mail converter? Wasn't sure if the cable (that has a funny bit on it) is a "special" cable? The reason I ask is it is incredibly short and the existing one is about 20 metres long!
0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: 200Mb self install question?

you can use the existing cables or pay £99 for virgin media to redo the wires i will not recomand buying cables if you do not know which cable can effect your network and virgin media's network and your power levels

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello Mbarlow007

Welcome to our forum, at the moment I notice that the levels received at your hub are a bit too high. I think for the best I will send you a forum private message to arrange a free engineer appointment to check it all. Please reply when you have a moment.

Thank you 

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Mbarlow007 wrote:
I have moved into a new house that has existing cabling, however I followed the quick start instructions for the 200mb broadband to the letter using the supplied cable and seems to work ok. My question is do I need to use the cable supplied, or can I use the existing cabling using some sort of female to mail converter? Wasn't sure if the cable (that has a funny bit on it) is a "special" cable? The reason I ask is it is incredibly short and the existing one is about 20 metres long!

Considering Nicola's comments, the "funny" bit you are talking about on the old cable is quite possibly an attenuator, which has been put there to reduce the signal levels. 20 metres of cable will also cause some attenuation.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos