Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
JvV
Fresh as a Daisy
JvV

access to news.virginmedia.com newsgroup server

I cant get access to the newsgroup server. I get an error message saying "480 authentication required". I understand the server does not use usernames and passwords for authentication, but ranges of IP addresses. So, it seems the server does not recognise my IP address. How can this problem be fixed?

Im using Vista Windows Mail as my client. My email and internet access works fine.

Any suggestions? The guys at network support seem to be unable to help with this.

Thanks,

Johannes van Vuren,

Cambridge.

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
jocatz

Re: access to news.virginmedia.com newsgroup server

Hi Johannes.  As no one has  answered you yet maybe a little more information will help speed a solution for anyone coming on to help you.

My technical expertise is a bit limited  and as I had no problems setting up the newsgroups I have not had the error message you got. Could I ask how you tried to set up the newsgroups, did you follow the instructions on the VM site?

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/cable/newsgroups/setting-up-outlook-express-exntl.php

7 lives left.
Please use plain text.
JvV
Fresh as a Daisy
JvV

Hi jocatz,

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have set up newsgroups exactly as described on the VM website. Actually, I have been using newsgroups for the last five years already, first on NTLWORLD and then on VM, and never had any problems. But just a few weeks ago, my access to the newsgroup server stopped suddenly. Thinking that my subscribed newsgroup database could be corrupted, I have deleted all my groups and tried to resubscribe to them. But to no avail. My client seems to connect to the server allright but cant retrieve the list of groups available on the server. Somehow, the LIST command to the server is failing, I guess.

Strange that no one else seem to have encountered this problem.

Johannes.

Please use plain text.
Brainbox
jocatz

:smileysad:I was hoping that your problem was just a missed step in your setting up process.

Being technically challenged I can't give you any advise but I am sure someone will be along soon who may have a better idea about what is going wrong.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

jo. 

7 lives left.
Please use plain text.
JvV
Fresh as a Daisy
JvV

Glad to report that access to the newsgroup server seems to be OK again. No idea how this happened.

Johannes.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
EdwardC

I am having the same problem as JvV.  I can access headers from the newsgroup server, but on trying to obtain the message contents and/or attachments I get an error message "Operation timed out".  I also sometimes get "480: Authentication required".  I am accessing the newsgroup servwer via port 119.  I also have had tyears of success until recently.  The last 6 months have been frustating.  I even cfdhanged to port 443 a couple of months back, and began to have success again.  But now that route has stopped giving me access.  Is Virginmedia blocking access?  I am assured not.  Is this a case of server overload?  Can Virginmedia give a reason for this and deal with it to give us the access we used to enjoy?

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
revs_boi

Hi, im trying to access the news groups but it keeps asking for a user name and password. I thought that this was not required. Any ideas people?

cheers

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
fastmoggy

Hi,

Ive had the same problem for most of week and unable to get in contact with anyone via the web about this! Id use the good ole 151 but after making 2 succesfull complaints about misleading information given by the call centre people ive about given up!

I thought the problem was computer related but as i have 3 on the network and all 3 are showing the same fault i guess (after 10 years with Ntl/virgin so i know how to set up my acounts!) it's a problem with Virginmedia. I hope someone out there has either an answr or a cure cus im going spare not being able to access my newsgroups.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
fastmoggy

Good point to start from ONLY if the server will accept you! Otherwise it's the old 480 message no matter what you do so, in keeping with virgin media's wonderful customer care services, Not very helpful at all ! If you do get to a 'parrot' on the team they will just read from the sheet stating 'migration' somewhere in the explanation in the hope you just go away!

Please use plain text.
Super-Solver
Lee_G

Hi All

For those of you who are Cable customers I have logged this with our network teams under ref F001384519.  For any National/ADSL customer experiencing this issue I have asked one of our National team to look into this for you, they will be posting here as soon as possible.

Regards,

Lee Grant

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.

Please can we ask you not to PM the Forum team unless requested to do so by us
Please use plain text.