Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Gandalf
legacy1

Re: Why??? is Virgin blocking websites

[ Edited ]

People that don't have half a brain deserved to be blocked.
People that know and make a big deal about it don't deserved the internet.

Keep going its people like you that could one day destroy the internet.

The above of course only apply to a select group in this topic which didn’t apply to the first poster problem. 

------------------Die-hard direct connection modem user :smileytongue:
Believing is catch 22 the VMDG280 should never of been made the Super hubs 1 & 2 could have been built better the years go by and we can't see the mistakes that were made to make things right.
The more that use modem mode the more we need IPv6: BQM, Outgoing ports test
Please use plain text.
Crafty
Grant2012

[ Edited ]

I use Torrents to upload my small non-profit (hobbies) 2D game, and let my friends download the torrent, and now your blocking torrent sites? Sure I can do it by other means but its a bit of a joke.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

"Would also like to point out i dont use it to steal. i have many blu rays,dvds,videos and cds that i have paid for and i want to have a back up of many of them. You cant rip from a disc unless you remove the copy right off it and since i paid for it i want a back up off it."

Well that is illegal and breaking the copyright so it is stealing.

I want a backup of my laptop incase it breaks so i'll walk into PC world and pick up another without paying.
Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

whats the problem there. give your friends the .torrent file directly
Please use plain text.
Wizard
Grovesy

[ Edited ]

apcyberax, it is not illegal and does not break any copyright in any way shape or form if you download media from the internet and own the original. This has been the case since forever.

Of course the backup may be used for personal use only and must not be distributed or shared with anyone else. Obviously people do this and then it does become illegal however I couldn't help but correct such a bold statement from someone that quite clearly has no association with the media industry. It certainly isn't stealing as there is no owner to steal from. Noone can claim ownership over replicated media in a digital format as technically it doesn't exist. There is nothing physical there...

When you buy media you are not buying the media itself, you are buying the rights to use that media. Therefore if you are downloading an exact copy of what you have purchased (for example an EU purchase means you can only download the EU version) and your reasons for doing so are for personal use then it is fine. If however, you download a limited edition version or a US version as opposed to EU version then this of course becomes illegal as the media you purchased is not the same. This is different for different countries and obviously the law is exercised more in some less in others however this is certainly applicable for the UK.

Your laptop analogy is a little absurd as you did not purchase the laptop on the grounds that you are buying the rights to use it. You purchase the laptop as you would like to own the laptop therefore it is yours and it belongs to you. Just in case that wasn't simple enough for you to digest; You cannot purchase music/movies and go the local shopping center and play it to everyone there as you do not have the rights to do so. You have only purchased the rights to use that media yourself not on behalf of everyone else. You do not own that music/movie and any awareness created as a result of you playing it you most certainly cannot take credit for. However, with regards to your laptop, if you took your laptop to a public area and began using it, your laptop performs differently to any other laptop in that range/model as the user operating the laptop dictates its behaviour therefore you can claim ownership for the outcome produced as a result of your actions. This you can take credit for.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

The copyright law is clear. The copyright holder is given certain exclusive rights, including the rights to make and distribute copies. Title 17 of the U.S. Code states that "it is illegal to make or distribute copies of copyrighted material without authorization" (Section 106). The only exception is the users' right to make a backup copy for archival purposes (Section 117).

by downloading it your not making the copy your taking someones elses. that is illegal.

Please use plain text.
Wizard
Grovesy

apcyberax wrote:
The copyright law is clear. The copyright holder is given certain exclusive rights, including the rights to make and distribute copies.

Well there's a contradiction to your original post?

Title 17 of the U.S. Code states that "it is illegal to make or distribute copies of copyrighted material without authorization" (Section 106). The only exception is the users' right to make a backup copy for archival purposes (Section 117).

The user you claimed is breaking the law stated quite clearly it was for backup purposes before you told him it was illegal.

by downloading it your not making the copy your taking someones elses. that is illegal.

So your saying that when I download a similar file off the internet, it disappears from the originators hard drive?  LOL

How are you taking someone else's when the original stays exactly where it is? Also, with regards to torrents, you are not taking it from an individual. That file could be composed as a result of millions of seeders meaning parts of the files come from everywhere regardless of how small or large that particular file segment may be. Your ignorance is almost as bad as the bafoons in the high court that passed that junk over pirate bay. Also, we are not in the US. As much as you may want to be in the US, you are actually in the UK.

Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
Daryl_GIll

Torrenting (can be legal) is mainly used for illegal file transfer. High court have ordered Virgin Media to block The Pirate Bay (I assume thats the one your using), as have other British ISP (Internet Service Provider). Virgin are just obaying the orders put down by the court.

Please use plain text.
Wizard
Grovesy

[ Edited ]

Daryl_GIll wrote:

Torrenting (can be legal) is mainly used for illegal file transfer. High court have ordered Virgin Media to block The Pirate Bay (I assume thats the one your using), as have other British ISP (Internet Service Provider). Virgin are just obaying the orders put down by the court.

This isn't the dispute, assuming you are responding to the previous post. What he is disputing is that downloading a file for which you own the original is illegal, which it isn't.

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
exobuzz

Although it is commonplace in the uk to make private backups/copies - there is currently no legislation that makes this ok. We really need some - other countries have it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripping#Other_countries

also to add - I am not supporting apcyberax though - who seems to be confused about what country we are in, and isn't making much sense in their argument.
Please use plain text.