Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Bright Spark
Chaoss

Re: Why??? is Virgin blocking websites

Best thing to do on a VM connection is use a solid VPN, they use this awful caching and are known to have bad routing to websites

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

they have never cached any of my sites
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
abaka

Ok, so I just switched to modem mode and still having issues. I spent an hour on the phone with a broadband tech support guy who remotely connected to my computer and tested everything and informed me that a ticket had been raised and that the problem would be fixed by 3 pm tonight. It's still happening

I use this site alot, and do a lot of buying and selling on it and it's costing me money. I might have no option to leave VM if this problem isn't identified and fixed.

I believe the router may be the problem, can I ask for a replacement if this is the cause?

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
LThomas72

For the last 3 days I've been unable to access www.capnix.com - one of the largest free providers of hosting in the US and the host of about 10 sites I maintain. I assumed there was a problem with Capnix themselves, but last night I found I could access the site from my friend's BT Hub. So is Virgin now blocking Capnix too??

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
easyeasy

Futher to more 'blocking' today (19/07/13) I believe Virgin Media's customers should express their extreme dissatisfaction and lodge their intention to switch ISP due to virgin media's continual 'blocking' of torrent sites. Since Virgin Media received a court order to block access to certain sites they have taken it upon themselves to continue blocking access to other sites at their own will. Although this is a completely futile approach showing a weak, almost pathetic stance by Virgin Media, clearly showing it is not their customers who matter to them. This is merely just continually frustrating and annoying as there are numerous ways to bypass such feeble blocks, does Virgin Media really have such contempt for its customers that they are willing to lose them whilst attempting to be a 'front runner' in restricting human rights to access perfectly legal websites? Maybe Virgin Media are tendering for some lucrative contract in the government, which would justify why they are attempting to suckle up to them like a runt piglet?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

the only sites that are blocked are the ones ordered by the order.

What other sites are they blocking
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
easyeasy

They have (and only today) blocked www.kickassunblock.info (was a direct kick ass proxy) This has been blocked long after the court order!

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
easyeasy

My error, they have blocked www.kickassunblock.com, access to www.kickassunblock.info is still unblocked.

Please use plain text.
The Sorter
petecoventry2

LThomas72 wrote:

For the last 3 days I've been unable to access www.capnix.com - one of the largest free providers of hosting in the US and the host of about 10 sites I maintain. I assumed there was a problem with Capnix themselves, but last night I found I could access the site from my friend's BT Hub. So is Virgin now blocking Capnix too??

I can't get it either unless I put on a VPN. For the past few days I've had sites fail to load I thought it was DNS issues

Please use plain text.
Superuser
ravenstar68

[ Edited ]

petecoventry2 wrote:

LThomas72 wrote:

I can't get it either unless I put on a VPN. For the past few days I've had sites fail to load I thought it was DNS issues

It's not DNS issues www.capnix.com resolves and I can run a tracert to it

PS C:\Users\Timothy> tracert capnix.com

Tracing route to capnix.com [93.188.160.65]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 9 ms 9 ms 11 ms cpc32-sutt4-2-0-gw.19-1.cable.virginmedia.com [81.110.111.1]
3 32 ms 21 ms 6 ms perr-core-2a-xe-1131-604.network.virginmedia.net [80.1.68.34]
4 13 ms 11 ms 16 ms manc-bb-1c-ae5-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.255.149.65]
5 26 ms 13 ms 18 ms manc-bb-1b-ae6-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.159.89]
6 12 ms 17 ms 8 ms manc-bb-1a-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.187.177]
7 22 ms 24 ms 18 ms glfd-bb-1b-ae1-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.175.146]
8 19 ms 25 ms 14 ms glfd-bb-1a-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.172.5]
9 16 ms 27 ms 16 ms gfd-dc-a-ge400.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.188.154]
10 24 ms 19 ms 20 ms 93-188-160-65.main-hosting.com [93.188.160.65]

Trace complete.

Connections to the site are timing out. When I try connecting on port 80

Ravenstar68

Edit testing on http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/www.capnix.com shows capnix.com is up so it does appear to be a problem over VM.  If VM were blocking deliberately though they would announce the fact.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Please use plain text.