Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
laszloszilagyi

Which WiFi routers are compatibility with Virgin Media Super Hub?

Hi,

My issue is I have a 50Mb internet by VirginMedia and I got a Virgin Media Super Hub which is a Netgear cable modem+wifi router all together without any antenna. So I have this broadband modem in the living room where the internet is fast and smooth but on the first floor everything is almost **bleep**. Even if 3-4 people would like to use internet in the house, everyone gets problems by the speed.

So I was thinking about to buy a new Broadband Wireless Router, but I do not know which brand is compatibility with the HUB? I also saw that the Hub has a "modem only" mode, but I just tried with my Belkin ADSL+ Broadband Modem Router and it does not work at all. In the office they said that because it is a modem+wifi router as well, I understood no problem, thats my fault.

So which broadband only wifi router should I buy?

Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
dozer167

Re: Which WiFi routers are compatibility with Virgin Media Super Hub?

Hi laszloszilagi,

I'm also on the 50Mb broadband, and I can recommend the TP-LINK TL-WR941N wireless "N" router.

It can very easily operate at speeds of upto 300Mb.  Since day one, I haven't had any trouble with it at all, and it has 1 main ethernet connection port to connect to your pc, plus a further 4 more ethernet ports to wire up further pc's / laptops...etc.

The wireless connection is very strong, as it has 3 large Omni-directional antennas.

Hope the info is of some help to you.   Regards dozer167

I do not work for Virgin Media, I'm just another customer. If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the kudos star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer?
Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
greyhairbadger

Hi laszloszilagyi,

You need a wireless router suitable for cable Internet connections. There are dozens of models to choose from, ranging in price from approximately £20 - £200.

The following is a link to suitable routers from one particular online vendor. There are many more vendors to choose from:

http://www.ebuyer.com/store/Networking/cat/Wireless/subcat/Routers---Cable

Should you wish to spend some time researching router performance then this website is an excellent place to start:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com

Phil.

Phil.

I don't work for Virgin Media. Any advice I offer is correct to the best of my knowledge, but is taken at your own risk.
Please use plain text.
The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
laszloszilagyi

Hi Fellas,

I am really appreciate your help, I got loads of useful informations. Thanks a lot to all of you.

One question to dozer: Are you using that TP-Link router with the Hub when it is in modem only mode?

Happy New Year to everyone! :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
dozer167

Hi laszloszilagyi,

Yes I'm using the TP-Link router connected to the SuperHub in modem mode, and it works perfect without any faults.  If I can help you out with any thing else related to this issue, just give me a shout, I'm only to willing to help.     Regards  dozer167

I do not work for Virgin Media, I'm just another customer. If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the kudos star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer?
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
davidpenston

Useful comments, but I wonder if I can just check a really basic question?

I have a Virgin Home Hub and it sends a wifi signal to the downstairs rooms in the house, but the signal does not reach upstairs. I have addressed the problem with a few plug in (home plug) routers that send the signal via the house wiring.

However, I have just got an iPad and you can't attach it to the home plugs.

What I am looking to do is to buy a new device (while keeping all the others) that sits on the first floor landing, picks up the wifi signal from my home hub and effectively acts as a relay to boost and send on the wifi signal to other devices on my first and second floors.

It looks like these devices you have mentioned attach directly/hard wire to the home hub and send out a signal further around the house than the home hub does itself, but that is not what I am looking to do.

The question, therefore, is - does the TP-Link Router act as the relay station I refer to above?

I have seen many comments that suggest I will need to contact their support service to make it work, however.

Many thanks

David

Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
dozer167

Hi davidpenston,

I can't comment as to whether the TP-Link "N" Router would be fully compatible with the setup you describe, but having said that, I live in a fairly large house and have the TP-Link router setup on my 1st floor landing wired directly to my main (Host PC) on the ground floor.

I have no problem obtaining a strong wireless signal on the 1st floor in all rooms, 2nd floor all rooms, and my attic, and my ground floor area....and surprising my cellar where I have a workshop with laptop. My setup is: (1) Wireless laptop in attic. (2) Wireless laptop on 2nd floor. (3) Wireless connections to 2 laptops on 1st floor. (4) Fully wired connection to main (Host) computer on ground floor / with the occassional wireless connection to laptop. (5) Wireless connection in cellar to 1 laptop. I can also use my iphone wirelessly connected any where in the house with out any disconnections. I haven't had an ounce of trouble with this setup and it's always given me a good wired and wireless connection.

Hope the info is of some help to you.    Regards dozer167

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
legacy1

Any router that does not have a ADSL or cable modem in it will work in modem mode.

Ideally you want at least a 4Port Gigabit Router and 1Gb WAN with 300Mbps Wireless and the wireless will only be as good as your card/usb adaptors you have.

For wireless range extender this will do and has a port to make any device wireless from that relay point.
http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/wireless-range-extenders/WN3000RP.aspx

------------------Die-hard direct connection modem user :smileytongue:
Believing is catch 22 the VMDG280 should never of been made the Super hubs 1 & 2 could have been built better the years go by and we can't see the mistakes that were made to make things right.
The more that use modem mode the more we need IPv6: BQM, Outgoing ports test
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
achilles2k

Similar question to 'davidpenston' - last month bought a new TPLink TL-WR300 Wireless n Router to replace my old wireless g router. It worked great and gave a decent signal all around the house. No problems.

A week ago my Virgin modem died and was replaced with a wireless super hub. It works just about the same as the TPLink Wireless Router - which is now effectively redundant. Or is it? . . .

Is there a way to use this brand new wireless router as a repeater / booster / extender?

Any help greatfully accepted.

Cheers,

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
ItsHarrySteel

Just a quick question, what routers can we use instead of the superhub or do we have to link the box off it? I am not very clued about routers but I would like to buy a dualband router as I have the 152MB virgin media package but couldn't find any information about whether I could use any router or what.

Thanks for your help,

Harry

Please use plain text.