Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
hamiljf

Using Static IP on a Superhub

I just installed a new Superhub and it worked pretty well out of the box.  Usual messing around getting it set up, but wired and wireless connections worked fine.  Until I came to use my main machine which has a static IP address (good reasons not relevant here).  It could see the other machines on my network.  I could log in and do management stuff on the superhub (including making sure that the DHCP range did not intersect the static address); the hub could see the static address (big label on the DHCP server page: STATIC ADDRESS) but it could not see the web: could not find server stuff.  The DNS address was OK.  The machine was on the trusted list.  Switching to DHCP and restarting the connection got me through (and here I am), so it is definitely something to do with the way the superhub handles a static address.  Ideas anyone ?

Please use plain text.
Super-Solver
legacy1

Re: Using Static IP on a Superhub

You should say LAN Static IP.

Anyway your problem is likely that your using 192.168.0.1 as DNS this does not work you need to use real DNS IP's like 194.168.4.100 or 8.8.8.8. other then that your LAN IP must be in the range and subnet of the LAN when in router mode.
------------------Die-hard direct connection modem user :smileytongue:
Believing is catch 22 the VMDG280 should never of been made the Super hubs 1 & 2 could have been built better the years go by and we can't see the mistakes that were made to make things right.
The more that use modem mode the more we need IPv6: BQM, Outgoing ports test
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
hamiljf

The network controlled by the Superhub is 192.168.0.xxx (although it can be changed via the admin logon).  The superhub is the DNS for that network, forwarding all such requests to one of the upstream DNSs: 192.168.4.100 or 192.168.8.100.  So any machine on the 192.168.0.xxx network *should* be able to access the upstream DNSs provided it has 192.168.0.1 in its own DNS field (which it did).  It should not matter whether the address is 192.168.0.10, or 192.168.0.100 (as long as it is not 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.255 of course).

Please use plain text.
Boffin
flilot

[ Edited ]

The Superhub does not seem to handle DNS resolution.

When using Static addresses on my Apple Macs, I could not get on the net without manually specifying the DNS server addresses.

Using DHCP, the Superhub told my Macs to automatically use the Virgin DNS servers, and not its local LAN IP (192.168.0.1) for DNS resolution.

-Carl
Please use plain text.
Super-Solver
legacy1

[ Edited ]

hamiljf wrote:

The superhub is the DNS for that network, forwarding all such requests to one of the upstream DNSs: 192.168.4.100 or 192.168.8.100

194.168.4.100 & 194.168.8.100

As I have said use real DNS IP's no point in saying what should happen because the hub does not work like that you DHCP to the hub in router mode you get VM DNS IP's you then NAT over with real DNS IP's therefore you must use real DNS IP's.

------------------Die-hard direct connection modem user :smileytongue:
Believing is catch 22 the VMDG280 should never of been made the Super hubs 1 & 2 could have been built better the years go by and we can't see the mistakes that were made to make things right.
The more that use modem mode the more we need IPv6: BQM, Outgoing ports test
Please use plain text.
The Troubleshooter
Jason_G

Hi hamiljf,

Has the advice provided by the community above resolved your problem?
Kind Regards,

Jason G.
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
netwiz

I doubt it!

My super hub is acting the same. 

The poster saying it MUST use an Internet DNS server missed the point that the DHCP server is required to act as the LOCAL DNS for the LAN. It does not. I have a number of devices on the LAN that get their DHCP address from the Superhub but if I try to access one by name, my readynas of example, it will not resolve it. Even though its in the DHCP table and has the correct host name.

One seriously wonders who the 'advanced' interface was aimed at! The lack of basic router functionally is frankly appalling.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Minart

I've got the same problem. 

Adding VMs public DNS IPs into the computers with the static address sorts it (I used 194.168.4.100 if anyones interested) but is there anything I can set in the SuperHub that'll fix this centrally? Like the first poster, I have a few statically assigned bits of kit and it'd be much easier if possible. 

Thanks.

- Martin

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Minart

For anyone interested - I solved this by having to:

a) Change my scope to include the statically assigned IP Addresses

b) Add the IP addresses into the reservation list.

Why this should make a difference is beyond me, but it does.  Hope that helps someone else.

Please use plain text.