Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
q3dm6

Scheduling type: Best Effort

Hi,

When I'm capping out on my download speed, my connection quality drops considerably.

This behaviour is usually expected when approaching the max download speed, but in past experiences it usually just bumps it up to about 100ms to servers in the UK. Recently, when downloading, even at about 200kbps of my 10mb line, my latency increases to well over 900ms which effectively kills any hope of using VOIP or streaming content.

I've looked at the connection settings, and the scheduling type is best effort.

Is this related at all?

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
q3dm6

Re: Scheduling type: Best Effort

Bump

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

No it's not, it says that all the time
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Gandalf
legacy1

[ Edited ]

So using a Download Manager to limit its speed to to 200KB/s with about 800KB/s free causes problems for VOIP....so with just your VOIP and no downloads its fine?

Best Effort as listed below
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk86/tk804/technologies_white_paper09186a0080672b3a.shtml#bstefrt
this likely means the data in the modems buffer will try to send as best as the scheduler at the other end can allow but might delay it so much that the modem drops packets from its buffer after xxxms or is delayed so much that it causes latency.

When you are downloading even at 200KB/s you send very little back to acknowledge what you have received and mixing these acknowledges for your download and sending VOIP is likely what’s causing VOIP problems.

All of which would point to VM optimizing the upstream for high latency fast upload speeds then low latency slow speeds at the users ends and maybe the scheduler itself.

------------------Die-hard direct connection modem user :smileytongue:
Believing is catch 22 the VMDG280 should never of been made the Super hubs 1 & 2 could have been built better the years go by and we can't see the mistakes that were made to make things right.
The more that use modem mode the more we need IPv6: BQM, Outgoing ports test
Please use plain text.