Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
Making Waves
TheSpyHusband

Really slow broadband in East Kilbride, G75

Anyone experiencing terrible broadband speed in East Kilbride, G75?

I've had a great broadband connection with Virgin for years (I'm currently on the 10 Meg package) but over the last few weeks the speed has been intermittent.

The last two weeks have been particularly bad - last night and this morning have been chronically slow.  Indeed, it took around 7 - 8 minutes for me to open the Virgin Media website and click on the forum page before I could actualy type this post!  Watching YouTube videos etc is impossible.  The lowest download speed I recorded on SpeedTest.net last week was 0.11Mbps!  I can't even check it currently as the server is taking too long to respond.

I've tried the usual resetting the modem and bypassing my wifi router but it doesn't help.

Please use plain text.
Wizard
James_MM

Re: Really slow broadband in East Kilbride, G75

Hi TheSpyHusband,

I have had a look at the modem and the cable that you are connected to and can find no issues with the cable.  The modem that you are using is loosing packets, I tested other modems on the same cable and they didn't loose any packets.

Given the age of the modem I have ordered a replacement for you, this usually takes between 3-5 working days to arrive.  Please can you ensure that the power supply is also changed when the modem is replaced.

Kind Regards,

James MM

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
TheSpyHusband

Re: Really slow broadband in East Kilbride, G75

Thanks James.

I suspected that the modem could be the reason.  It's a good few years old - manufactured in December 2004 according to the sticker.

I look forward to receiving the new one.

Many thanks.

Please use plain text.