Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Crafty
EZChris

New to VM - Corrupt downloads, zip, rar and exe files.

Hi,

I've literally just set up my VM connection at my university accomodation, and every file ive tried to download that is a zip, rar or exe file is reported as being corrupt.

Due to the nature of my work I get a variety of files sent in zip and rar formats (part time digital musician) and the .exe I was downloading was winRAR (to make sure the problem wasn't to do with my software).

I'm fairly computer savvy and i'm sure its not a memory fault or anything similar. This problem has literally just started since I got this connection here.

For the record, all files I tryed to download (and will download) are LEGAL.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Fix-a-Lot
Sololobo

Re: New to VM - Corrupt downloads, zip, rar and exe files.

Found this hidden within the help pages:-

Some file types are blocked

As a security measure to prevent potential viruses, Virgin Media Mail doesn't allow you to send or receive executable files (such as files ending in .exe) that could contain damaging executable code.

We also do not allow certain other types of potentially harmful files, with ending as listed here: ".ade", ".adp", ".bas", ".bat", ".chm", ".cmd", ".com", ".cpl", ".crt", ".dll", ".hlp", ".hta", ".inf", ".ini", ".ins", ".isp", ".jse", ".lib", ".lnk", ".mdb", ".mde", ".msc", ".msi", ".msp", ".mst", ".ocx", .pages, ".pcd", ".pif", ".reg", ".scr", ".sct", ".shb", ".shs", ".sys", ".url", ".vb", ".vbe", ".vbs", ".vxd", ".wsc", ".wsf" and ".wsh".

Virgin Media Mail won't accept these types of files even if they are sent in a zipped (.zip, .tar, .tgz, .taz, .z, .gz) format. If this type of message is sent to your Virgin Media Mail account, it is bounced back to the sender automatically.

You can send and receive messages up to 20 megabytes (MB) total (including attachments). Any message that exceeds this limit will not be delivered to your inbox and will be returned to the sender.

An attachment I sent was garbled

If attachments you've sent are garbled or missing when they reach their destination, the headers of the message will help diagnose the issue. You can learn how to display message headers to help resolve the problem.

'Document Contains No Data' errors

Virgin Media Mail allows you to send files up to 20MB in size, but the files can't be executable. (Computer viruses are often spread with executable files or other potentially harmful files, so Virgin Media Mail doesn't accept them, even if they are zipped and don't have an '.exe' extension.) If you try to send a file larger than 20MB, or one has an executable file attached, Virgin Media Mail will display an error message that says 'Document Contains No Data.'

If you're unable to send a message that is smaller than 20MB and doesn't have any executable files attached, we suggest disabling pop-up blocking software you have installed on your computer, and attempting to send the attachment again.

This appears to me to be an overstepping of the mark by Virginmedia / Google by determining what file types can and can't be sent via email.

I do PC troubleshooting for friends and family and have in the past sent bat, exe and ini files for the creation of floppy boot discs or USB sticks for troubleshooting and diagnostics. Not any more it seems.

Try changing the file types before emailing or zipping, exe to ex_, bat to ba_ and ini to in_ for example. Don't know if this will work as I haven't tried it myself.

You could open an account with Yahoo!, for example, where you can send and receive files by the use of Yahoo! Messenger or via their email service.

Good Luck.

--------------------
I used to answer questions, but now I question instead. Guess why.
I'm not paranoid, they are watching.
Kudos: Users giveth and VM taketh away.
Please use plain text.
Crafty
EZChris

That is interesting and thank you for your help - however the files I am downloading are from perfectly reputable websites. For example im trying to download winRAR from: http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

I've not used email to send or recieve anything yet - this problem is literally from downloading from websites.

However I think this may be related....

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Fix-a-Lot
Sololobo

It may be that your current installation of zip/unzip software has become corrupted. The files you're downloading may be perfectly fine but your current unzip installation cannot recognise that.

Uninstall your current WinRar, WinZip or whatever, reinstall and try again.

I had a similiar problem with Adobe Reader and a removal and reinstall rectified the issue.

Sorry I got the wrong end of the stick with my initial reply :smileysad:

--------------------
I used to answer questions, but now I question instead. Guess why.
I'm not paranoid, they are watching.
Kudos: Users giveth and VM taketh away.
Please use plain text.
Crafty
EZChris

Cheers for the reply.

I managed to get winzip downloaded without any corruption, so i've reinstalled that and re-downloaded the .zip files.

Interestingly one of the files within the .zip gets a crc error whilst the other just says corrupted - but ultimatly still not working.

I think I might try and get another router setup to see if that is the issue.

Cheers again

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Ignition

Are you using a router?

If you are have a look through its' menu and see if you can find SPI firewall - then disable it.

-----
If you found my post helpful I'm clearly not trying hard enough.
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
benj33

Hey im having the exact same problem have u managed to fix this yet?

Please use plain text.
Crafty
EZChris

Not yet, no.

I've gotten a new router from virgin and it does the same thing - which leads me to think its some strange setting Virgin have set up. For now to remedy this I just plug the modem straight into my computer - but with 3 other needing the internet this is far from ideal.

I also get problems with some flash based applications where it has to download local content etc. It seems this is some over zealous security measure.

Whats interesting is that some friends in the next street along have the same problem, but another friend on the other side of the city hasnt got the problem, his internet has been up and running for a while at his house whereas mine and friends near me are new connections.

I've ruled out wireless encryption or transmission problems by plugging into the modem via ethernet - same issues. So the issue is software/hardware of this particular router.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
benj33

Ye, i recently changed the name/account of the broadband in to another house mates as we were getting the 30quid recomendation thing and it seemed silly not to give it the quick swap all we said was we want the same package in a different name signed the stuff and went on our way.

He told us to swap the modem with this one at a certain we did and it turned on etc we activated it and the problem began from their as with us it happens with flash items too!

Before hand it was perfectly fine :<

So i changed back to the old modem the router hasnt changed by the way its stayed the same, and still the same problem. Virgin are useless i had the tech guy around and he said it was working fine which is a bunch of **bleep**.

Really getting on my **bleep** now atleast i got 28days to cancel.

Please use plain text.
Wizard
ironman123

Your HDD might be packing up,or badly in need of defraging.

Just a thought.

Please use plain text.