Check your service statusCable National
Ask a Question
Freakishly Helpful
Leanne_K

Re: National Lottery Site thinks I'm outside the UK, and are blaming Virgin Media

Hi jason12345,

Thanks for letting us know, we look forward to the response in which you receive.

Leanne K
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
Crafty
jason12345

Re: National Lottery Site thinks I'm outside the UK, and are blaming Virgin Media

OK, I finally had a response from the lottery team, bearling in mind I cut and pasted most of this thread, gave a link to the thread, and also cut/paste the results from this "What is my ip" website, and gave a link to it. 

http://www.tcpiputils.com/browse/ip-address

See their response below, 

Im an IT manage by profession, so Im sure about my local setup ;-)

So both sides now wont take any responsibility.

Im not giving up.. even if it has been an issue since July.. Sigh.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your email dated 17 October 2012 concerning being blocked from accessing The National Lottery website. 

I am sorry to learn that your Account access remains blocked because of your internet settings. 

I have had the opportunity to speak to Virgin Media Technical support who advised that all of their IP addresses should enable players to access their site from their range of IP addresses which are used by Virgin Media. Indeed, the adviser accessed The National Lottery website while I was in discussion with him. 

As you will appreciate, we do have a significant number of players who use Virgin Media to access The National Lottery website without any problem, and currently, we are not aware of any other Virgin Media player with the same issue. 

It was advised to me that the most likely cause of the block is due to local internet configurations and usage. The best approach would be to seek technical assistance to resolve this matter. 

Regrettably, I am unable to provide any further suggestions in respect of this matter. 

Please do contact me again if I can be of further assistance. 

Yours sincerely 

Mike Wiseman 
National Lottery Customer Care Team

Please use plain text.
Crafty
jason12345

Obviously an IT Manager who also can't spell, I really should read my posts before I submit. :-)
Please use plain text.
Forum Manager (Retired)
Kieren_Retired

Hi Jason,

You are definitely trying to access the National Lottery site on the same computer and browser as you're posting from? I do not see anything wrong with your IP, so I'm fairly sure this isn't an issue on our side. I will take a look into this and see what we can do.

Thanks.

Kieren Aris
Deputy Community Manager

Please use plain text.
Crafty
technocrat

[ Edited ]

This issue is still going on has been for months. I can't access on ANY device from house. Please fix this....

Dear Sir / Madam 

Thank you for your email dated 29 October 2012 regarding accessing your Account. 

I am sorry to hear you are still encountering problems accessing your National Lottery Account. 

Having checked your IP address, I can confirm there to be no reason why it would be blocked and suggest the following actions; 

Please ensure that your browser is set to accept cookies. You may want to try clearing your browser history, cache and cookies and if you have a Broadband connection, disconnect this for a period of approximately 15 minutes, as this will generate a different IP address from your ISP. 

I hope this helps, however, please refer to your ISP for any further assistance required in this matter. 

Yours faithfully 

Alex 

National Lottery Customer Care Team

Please use plain text.
Human Answer Bank
legacy1

VM = we point the finger at are customer and National Lottery
National Lottery = we point the finger at the customer and VM

Can't win!
------------------
Die-hard direct connection modem user :smileytongue:
Believing is catch 22 the VMDG280 should never of been made the Super hubs 1 & 2 could have been built better the years go by and we can't see the mistakes that were made to make things right.
The more that use modem mode the more we need IPv6: Pingtest, BQM,Outgoing ports test
Please use plain text.
The Sorter
Darren_G

Hi jason12345,

I can see there is an old modem you are using, I'm not sure if this would be causing the issue, But I'm going to send you a new superhub and hopefully this will resolve this problem, Did you try doing the steps lotto requested you to do? Fingers crossed a new modem will sort this, give you a new IP address and use a different path to get to the site, Your new modem will take about 3-5 working days,

Darren_G
Help & Support Forum Team

Please use plain text.
Crafty
jason12345

Hi Darren,

Yes , I tried all those steps the lottery suggested many times, but its simply the ip address it doesnt like, as any device connected, 3 different laptops and a desktop pc couldnt connect all with the same error. 

I also left the modem off for 2 days at one point but got the same ip address when i powered back on, because of work I couldnt leave it off any longer.

The superhub has arrived, and I activated it at the weekend, and a new mac address gave a new ip address and I can now access the lottery site. Im very grateful for your help and the new equipment.

This wouldnt help anyone else with the problem though, although advice I would offer to them is if your router allows you to change the mac address it presents to your modem (my netgear did), that will also give you a new ip address which should then (hopefully) give you an address that the lottery doesnt reject.

Im still unsure who was at fault here, as the problem has been sidestepped rather than solved, but i am grateful for your help, and will communicate the results back to the lottery team. Overall I think its their site or the services they use that are incorrect here as I failed to find any service but theirs that said I was outside of the UK.

But thanks again and you have managed to keep a customer, as I was seriously about to change provider, 

Now if only I can get a TV box that manages to receive HD channels for my HD TV (that Ive owned for over a year) rather than this Samsung box that only gives me the LO- channels ;-)

Jason

Please use plain text.
Crafty
jason12345

I have also sent a response to the Lottery Help Team,  as below, it will be interesting to see how they respond.

---------------------

Hi National Lottery Help Team, (please escalate this to the highest level, as so far any escalations have resulted in replies which are not only incorrect, but they are almost insulting.)

I received a response to my problems from yourselves, copied below, 

I then went back to Virgin media, who really didn't think they had a problem at their end.
If you are really interested I post a copy of their responses and a link again to the thread on their site that show I am clearly not the only one with the problem, and how it was solved, , the thread I enclosed last time, which Mike Wiseman or any of your team obviously did not read as he's response blamed local setup issues as the cause.

It seems its your website or the services you use that are at fault, and although my problem is solved, it still affects many people.

I look forward to your response (which I will be making public)

Your Faithfully 

Jason

----------------------------------
I then proceeded to cut and paste the significant end posts to this thread....   lets see.... 

Please use plain text.
Crafty
jason12345

Hi, 

Just a follow up, 

no reposnse until I chased them, them they just said Virgin will put a statement on their forums.

I guess this is it.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Other-Queries/National-Lottery-Virgin-Media-IP-addresses-shown-a...

My advice is to just complain to both parties until you get it fixed.  point to these threads and they will get it working for you.

Jason

Please use plain text.