Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Crafty
jason12345

National Lottery Site thinks im outside the UK, and are blaming Virgin Media

Hi ,

I can no longer access the national lottery website as it says i am outside the UK and they suspended my account. (Although still manage to take the direct Debits!)

They say its all determined by ip address, and the blame lays with virgin media using an anonymizer.

I've told them its unlikely as I used www.ipaddresslocation.org, which places me perfectly where i live.

here is their reply.

Thank you for your email dated 18 July 2012.

In this instance we would need to refer you to Virgin Media as your IP address is showing that it has an anonymizer on it which prevents Geo Location software from reading your true location. This kind of issue is, regretfully, outside of our control.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

I hope this information has been of assistance. If you have any further enquiries or feedback to provide please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Yours sincerely

Alison Gilbey
National Lottery Customer Care Team

Obviously I dont want to give out my ip address and location here, but why is this happening.?

Please use plain text.
Forum Team
Jen_A

Re: National Lottery Site thinks im outside the UK, and are blaming Virgin Media

[ Edited ]

Hi jason12345,

The National Lottery Customer Care Team are quite correct in this.

This issue has been escalated over to our networks team. We did originally raise individual fault tickets for this until we became aware that it was an issue affecting a specific IP range.

The Geo Location software used by the BBC is not able to identify this IP range as belonging to a U.K. based company thus the error that you are seeing. Our networks team is now dealing with this.

The fault reference for this is F002067187. 

We aim to have this resolved as soon as possible. We apologise for the inconvenience caused by this. If you need an update please just bump this post and we'll re-check the ticket status for you.

Jen_A
Help & Support Forum Team

Problem Solved?Fault with your service?We did warn you!
Please use plain text.
Crafty
jason12345

Re: National Lottery Site thinks im outside the UK, and are blaming Virgin Media

Interesting ,

The BBC Iplayer and BBC live website works without a problem, but the lottery site still gives the "outside of UK error"

Thanks for the response, i will keep trying the site to see when i can get in.

my current ip begins with 77.102.x.x

updates to this fault would be welcome.

Best Regards

Jason

Please use plain text.
Crafty
jason12345

Any update on this issue, 

I have also tried to turn my modem off for 8 hours today hoping it would give me a different IP when I powered back up but it was the same?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

@jason12345 the IP leasing is dynamic but you can have can have the same IP for months/years , still waiting for update
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Freakishly Helpful
Leanne_K

Hi jason12345,

At the moment we don't have an update but one has been requested so we can find out what's going on.

Its currently still being investigated, Thanks for your patience.

If you bump up this post in a couple of days we should have a further update for you.

Leanne K
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
HandyAndy777

Hi,

I had an email at 5.19am yesterday saying my account had been disconnected.

I did log on via a Virgin mobile phone last week to play in Saturdays lottery and I have 5 raffle draws this week I have paid for and a win from Saturday in the account.  Will I loose my winnings and chances to win for the paid for raffle draws?

My IP starts 94.169

Cheers. Andrew.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

this will be something you will have to take up with the national lottery
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Lisahorne

:manfrustrated:

Virgin Media Team - could you please confirm if this issue has now been resolved.  Looking at a couple of different postings, this was raised back in April and is causing a lot of people problems. 

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

The problems in april are likey fixed. it will be unlikey to be the same block that needs adding again
Please use plain text.