Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
LG
One to Watch
LG

IP address

Hello there,

I called today to VM team, but they were still reconnecting me somewhere and I was just waiting and I do not have time for this game...so I want to ask someone from VirginMedia if its possible to change my IP adress for new another one.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
dozer167

Re: IP address

LG, Simple answer no.

But try this and see how it goes.

1. Connect directly to your cable modem, DO NOT connect through a router, etc.

2. Load Command Prompt (Start, Run, Type 'cmd' and press Enter/OK). Black window appears.

3. Enter 'ipconfig /release'.

4. Disconnect the power supply from your cable modem, for 1 minute. (Whilst your cable modem is effectively powerless, enter 'ipconfig /renew' in the Command Prompt window, WAIT! DO NOT press Enter/OK)

5. Connect the power supply back into your cable modem, and then press Enter/OK on the above command (which was 'ipconfig /renew'), continuously repeat the same command using the UP button on your keypad (saves you manually typing it in).

6. It should hopefully provide you with a new IP. This has always worked for me.

The reason you enter 'ipconfig /renew' at step 4 is so that you don't waste time at step 5 -- If you bypass 4, there's every possibility that it won't work.

Hope the info helps                        dozer167

I do not work for Virgin Media, I'm just another customer. If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the kudos star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer?
Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

the way the network works will just reassign the same ip.

The DHCP pool will remember the ip assigned to the device conencted to the modem. if you have a modem/router you can close the mac address on your router or change it for another. connection another mac address to the modem will give you another ip
Please use plain text.
LG
One to Watch
LG

[ Edited ]

Well, if I understand it right, I did this:

1. I connect cable to my router...(switch off wifi)

2. done

3. done

4. I wrote ipconfig/renew and waited for one minute and after that put back supply...

5. pressed Enter for ipconfig/renew (how you said)

And after that I even cannot write anything (you wrote continuously use same command...)

Here you have scr:

TO apcyberax:

well yes, thats why I ask for change IP by my provider (Virgin) thats only way how to do it...its easy in my homecountry just call to provider and say "I want another IP address"...thats it...but here...idk..

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

no vm can;t change the address as they are assigned by the local networks its not something that can be changed
Please use plain text.
LG
One to Watch
LG

apcyberax: I see...kinda different and more difficult than I thought (compare to my hometown)...but can I change my IP (WAN IP Address)? even MAC how you said... ?
Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

its possible but depends on the hardware you have. do you have a modme and router. or a hub/superhun (all in one)
Please use plain text.
Font of All Knowledge
Peter_

Virgin Media ip addresses are dynamic and are assigned to the MAC address of the equipment connected so the easy way to change your ip is to disconect your router as long as it has not cloned the MAC address of your computer, if so reset the router and let the server see the new MAC address and voila a new ip address.

The other option is to buy a new router and the system will see a new MAC address and assign a new ip.

another option is to check when your lease expires and on that date leave the modem switched off for at least 24 hours.

You can get a new ip but it is not exactly easy.

Has this post helped you out? say thanks by clicking on the RED STAR +☆
If I helped to answer your question then please click 'Helpful Answer' also
Please use plain text.
LG
One to Watch
LG

apcyberax: I have superhub from VM. (VMDG480)

_Peter_: I reset many times superhub but MAC and IP is still same...I don´t want buy another device :smileyhappy:.

And my lease time is already gone...but I did not try unplug for 24 hours...
So what is the best thing to do ?
Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

then the only way would be to buy a new router and use the superhub in modem only mode. that should change it
Please use plain text.