Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
Fresh as a Daisy
moonbeam123
Helpful Answer

How can I cancel my Virgin Media service?

I am trying to cancel the Virgin broadband at the house I used to share with other university students. 

Eventually we all moved out so I've been trying to cancel that virgin media service, but I've been told it has to be the named account holder. That named person moved out a while ago and dissappeared into the ether (which can't be too unsual for university students). As I was paying the bills already, there didn't seem to be any reason to fuss with changing the name on the account. I don't remember the account password, and because I'm not that person (apparently it's irrelevant that the bills are sent to me), I'm not allowed to do anything with the account because of data protection issues.

I've telephoned customer service several times trying to cancel the account. One person told me all I needed to do was cancel my direct debit. I've done that, but am now being emailed huge monthly bills. When it was clear the account hadn't been cancelled, the next person I talked to said that because of DPA, the only thing I can do is call 'customer service', or write to the Swansea office. The phone number I'd called was that customer service number, and I've already written to the Swansea office several months ago when I first started trying to cancel the account, but nothing came of that letter and I never had a response.

Although the direct debit has stopped, I'm still not happy receiving such big bills. Presumably the current house hold is still getting internet that no one is paying for. I don't know what next step to take.

In summary:

• I want to cancel the virgin media broadband service/close the account.
  • I've lost touch with the named account holder.
  • I do not remember the password.
  • I receive the bills, so could answer security questions relating to them, if I were asked.
  • I have telephoned the customer service number (08454541111)
  • I have written to P.O. Box 333//Matrix Court//Swansea//SA7 9BB
  • On the advice of customer service I've cancelled the direct debit (so will not expect to pay the bills I've received subsequently.)

What is the next step to take to close the account/cancel the service?

Thank you in advance for your help, it will be much appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
adacom

Re: How can I cancel my Virgin Media service?

i would suggest you ring retentions - 150 from a virgin phone - option 5 option 2 - or follow the i want to leave prompts - if they cannot help then i dont think anybody can

Tony
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
moonbeam123

Thanks for that idea. But I think 'retentions' is the last thing I want - I moved from that house over 6 months ago! I don't have a virgin phone where I'm living now, but I did follow the prompts on the customer service line to the effect of 'I want to leave' (can't remember the exact phrase). They were the ones who said a) I'm a 'third party' and because of DPA I can't do anything b) I could phone the customer services (but which is the number I was already using) c) cancel direct debit (but that hasn't cancelled the account) d) write to the Swansea office (which I've done).

I can't tell you how often I've thought 'stuff it', til yet another bill comes through, and the amounts are scaring me! I'm scared that I, or the account holder, will be getting a terrible credit rating. I'm scared that they'll take the money from my account anyway, which I won't be able to afford, or certainly not be able to afford comfortably.

If anyone, or a Virgin Media staff, can tell me something else to do to cancel this account, I will be most grateful!

Please use plain text.
Superuser
adacom

the VM staff here cannot help they quote the DPA - retentions is just a name - its the i want to leave dept - they have a sub dept for students which is why i suggested them - its also a UK call centre so you will speak to somebody not reading off a script

apart from that you can write - which you have done or email the CEO's office - just search google for an email address

or forget it and move on 

Tony
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Namaqua

Hooray! So I'm not the only one! Changed to BT months ago, but Virgin still keep billing me! Cancelled by email and phone, but useless talking to India. Had so many harassing phone calls, I had to change my number. If someone can help me, I'd be grateful

Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
Steve_Brett

Hi Both

As Adacom has posted above, 150 from a Virgin phone or 08454541111 from any other phone and choose the "thinking of leaving us" option. This will get you through to the retentions team who can arrange for account cancellation. If the IVR asks you to input characters from your security word - and you do not have it - just enter random characters and after 2 tries your call will be put through anyway.

Kind Regards,

Steve Brett
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
Frenske

Something does not add up. How can you receive the bills when the account in someone else's name? It is not your account after all!

If you stop paying then I would think the account holder gets a brownie point striked off and not you.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
annabelmountfor

I took out a 9 month student broadband contract in October. This has now finished but Virgin Media is still taking money out of my account even though I have moved property. I tried to ring up to cancel but I don't have any of the information required as it is stuck on my wifi box, which belonged to the landlord. I can also never get through to a real human. No matter which options I go through. Please someone give me a number for a human.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

once the contract ends you are on a rolling 30 day contract and need to give 30 days notice to cancel. it will not end automaticly.

you should be able to log into your My virgin media and get the account details and when calling go though to the "thinking of leaving" option
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
vj456

Hi everyone! Sorry to hijack an old topic, but I'm in exactly the same position as this guy but for some reason can't start a new topic on the main board.

I am trying to cancel the Virgin broadband at the house I used to share with other university students. I've also been told that the named account holder has to do it, even though I've been paying the bill for the last 9 months and this other guy disappeared off to  goodness knows where a while ago.

I was never told the account password- I always assumed that it was the same as the one I use for the online "My Virgin Media" portal, but I've now found out that this isn't so!

So, does anyone know how I can go about finding the password (can this be done online?) and then how I can cancel the account?

I have ben phoning customer services, but alas to no avail.

Please use plain text.