Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Emerging Talent
Richard_SFC

DNS Server not available ?

Hello, 

I just wanted to mention that as of the last 3-4 weeks I have had trouble accessing the internet from my computer when I have turned it on first thing in the morning. I turn on the Superhub, and after the computer has loaded completely, I try to open Internet Explorer. The signal bars in the bottom right hand corner say that I have full connection and internet access, yet I am still unable to access the internet and the same message appears over and over again. The message says that the DNS Server could not be located/found and recommends options I should try. I have tried all of the options at my disposal (nothing has worked, and each time I need to reboot both the Superhub and my Computer several times each morning) and the last resort tells me to contact my ISP.  

If the Virgin Media Forum team could give me any advice, a fix for this, or arrange for a Technician to come out if needed I would be very grateful ! 

Many thanks to the Forum team, appreciate the quick responses and answers. 

Thanks, Richard.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

Re: DNS Server not available ?

if you do a wired connection the hub and disconnect from the wifi connection can you then get online?

what version of windows you running eg xp/vista/7?

when was the last time you could get online?

and to check the hub itself

Visit http://192.168.0.1 username admin password changeme if you then click on advanced settings, and choose connection and copy and paste all details

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
Richard_SFC

Hi paultechy, 

I appreciate the quick reply in trying to resolve this issue. The Superhub is hardwired into the back of my computer, and after rebooting the computer several times it finally allows access even though as I mentioned it's been telling me the whole time that I have internet access. The computer is running on Windows Vista, and I am able to get online now, but can almost guarantee the next time I have to reboot the computer the issue will arise again ! 

Here is the readout from my Superhub: 

Many Thanks, Richard 

Startup Procedure
ProcedureStatusComment
Acquire Downstream Channel435000000 HzLocked
Connectivity StateOKOperational
Boot StateOKOperational
Configuration FileOK 
SecurityEnabledBPI+

Downstream Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDMax Raw Bit RateFrequencyPowerSNRDocsis/EuroDocsis locked
LockedQAM25622855616000 Kbits/sec435000000 Hz1.4 dBmV41.0 dBHybrid
LockedQAM25622955616000 Kbits/sec443000000 Hz1.2 dBmV40.9 dBHybrid
LockedQAM25623055616000 Kbits/sec451000000 Hz0.8 dBmV40.8 dBHybrid
LockedQAM25623155616000 Kbits/sec459000000 Hz0.8 dBmV40.5 dBHybrid
UnlockedUnknown00 Ksym/sec0 Hz0.0 dBmV0.0 dBUnknown

Upstream Channels
Lock StatusModulationChannel IDMax Raw Bit RateFrequencyPower
LockedATDMA420480 Kbits/sec35800000 Hz43.0 dBmV
UnlockedUnknown00 Ksym/sec0 Hz0.0 dBmV

Primary Downstream Service Flow
Downstream(0)
SFID14068
Max Traffic Rate53000000 bps
Max Traffic Burst3044 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate0 bps

Primary Upstream Service Flow
Upstream(0)
SFID14067
Max Traffic Rate5140000 bps
Max Traffic Burst8160 bytes
Mix Traffic Rate0 bps
Max Concatenated Burst8160 bytes
Scheduling TypeBest Effort

Please use plain text.
Gandalf
Ray_M

Hi Richard_SFC,

The local signal levels you have posted are fine. Have you tried a 2nd PC hard-wired to the super-hub to see if you can replicate the problem? You state that you switch your super-hub on of a morning. What happens if you leave the super-hub on overnight and then just boot the PC in the morning? Does it connect first time?

Regards,

Ray Miranda
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.

Got a problem? Check for faults online with our new service status and fault checker

Please use plain text.