Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Crafty
Topperfalkon

Blocking of the Promo Bay

I was wondering if Virgin Media could shed some light on its reason for blocking the Promo Bay, a fully legal spin-off of The Pirate Bay, displaying material from consenting artists.

My belief was that the court order only relates to thepiratebay.se site and IPs for that site. If that's the case, isn't this block out of scope?

Please use plain text.
Freakishly Helpful
robson689

Re: Blocking of the Promo Bay

promobay.org is on the IWF (Internet Watch Foundation) filter list, and since Virgin are members of the IWF this is probably why the website is blocked.

Please use plain text.
Crafty
Topperfalkon

Why on earth is Virgin a member of IWF? They have a terrible record for falsely blacklisting sites.

Please use plain text.
Freakishly Helpful
robson689

If you look at the linked list, most of the big internet providers in the UK are members so maybe it would reflect badly on VM if they decided not to be members? I'm not 100% sure and you would probably have to ask Virgin themselves (not sure which department could comment on it).

http://www.iwf.org.uk/members/current-members

Please use plain text.
Captain Clued-Up
craigj2k11

Yeah, its also blocked for me on Sky, who are also a member of the IWF

Please use plain text.
Crafty
Topperfalkon

More to the point, I'm not sure the IWF thing holds up, as the message displayed is the same for The Pirate Bay.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

Please use plain text.
j26
The Sorter
j26

Seems like a trophy page for whos given the most to me.

hurrah for VPNs

Please use plain text.
Freakishly Helpful
robson689

Topperfalkon wrote:

More to the point, I'm not sure the IWF thing holds up, as the message displayed is the same for The Pirate Bay.

It does hold up :smileytongue: If you here it explains why websites are blocked.

Whilst rare, from time to time Virgin Media is required to block access to certain websites meaning they cannot be accessed by customers using our broadband service. Blocking access to certain websites is something that Virgin Media does only when absolutely necessary. The two scenarios where sites may be blocked on our service are:

(a) because the IWF (Internet Watch Foundation) has asked us to block a particular site to protect children and our customers from potentially illegal content.

(b) we receive an order from the Courts requiring us to prevent access to a certain site, for example in order to help protect Copyright – this is a legal obligation we must comply with.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
apcyberax

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/12/02/176250/the-promo-bay-blocked-by-uk-isps?utm_source=rss1.0main...

"The Pirate Bay's artist promotion platform (the Promo Bay), despite being perfectly legal, is being blocked by several UK Internet service providers including BT, and Virgin Media. The Promo Bay was launched this week as a promotion platform for content creators like filmmakers and musicians enabling them to showcase their talent and work to thousands of people across the web. Even though the idea is novel, The Promo Bay has somehow found itself on a block list alongside the Pirate Bay."

Please use plain text.