Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
JGB
Making Waves
JGB

Apple Remote Desktop on Virgin Broadband.

Has anyone managed to work Apple Remote Desktop on Virgin Broadband?

If Yes. Could you please let me know how and what steps I need to take.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

Re: Apple Remote Desktop on Virgin Broadband.

[ Edited ]

what happens when you try and use it, also what sort of connection you using eg hub/superhub seperate cable modem with router? all the info can be found via - http://www.apple.com/uk/remotedesktop/

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
JGB
Making Waves
JGB

I am aware of Apple online help sites. Thanks.

My enquiry is, has anyone been able to run Apple remote Desktop from an Apple computer to another via Virgin XXL broadband? not through a server but straight forward connection.

I have called Virgin tech help but got no help, they kept referring me back to Apple site. The issue is not with Apple but with Virgin ISP, and can Virgin provide a static IP sddress?

Please do not reply with a link to Apple site or any other sites, just with clear answers. Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

only business customers get a static IP address, you can setup a say - http://www.dyndns.com/ this sort of gives a static IP address, but rather than a IP address its more a url.  there shouldn't be anything that blocks the remote connection, since the common cause is possible firewall issues. 

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
JGB
Making Waves
JGB

Is there anyone out there who is running Apple Remote Desktop from a Mac to a Mac via Virgin Broadband XXL. not as business or via a server just an ordinary user who likes to connect to his Mac at home while he is out.

Does Virgin broadband allow that?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

yeah its allowed, only things that isnt allowed is anything illegal like hacking/sending spyware etc.. 

Please use plain text.
JGB
Making Waves
JGB

Thanks paul.

Do you know of anyone or is there anyone out there who is running Apple Remote Desktop from Mac to Mac on Virgin Broadband?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

[ Edited ]

nope, i use logmein.. to test it you should be able to remote access your own machine. since you never really did say what happened when you tried, or any errors or you just wondering if its possible via the virginmedia network?

Please use plain text.
JGB
Making Waves
JGB

There you go. 

Why not give a straight answer to start with.

What happens? It just will not connect and Virgin Media engineers haven't got a clue why.

I asked about static IP address and the engineers kept repeating his answer by saying "I am telling you that it not possible", but you are saying that we can via a business account.

I still would like to know if anyone has Apple Remote Desktop with business account or not.

Please use plain text.
Clever-clogs
rbetts100

This issue here is the Firewall on the Virgin Super Hub. If you disable the firewall the remote connection works fine, if you set it to low it will work for some time then locks you out. I believe the firewall thinks the ARD is port scanning and blocks the connection.

The Super Hub is pretty rubbish, even with port forwarding on the Firewall is not able to figure out this is valid traffic. 

Please use plain text.