Crafty
zeewier
Helpful Answer

30 MB upgrade & blocking of internet streams

I am currently on 10MB cable broadband but am considering an upgrade to 30MB. Apparently this requires a new wireless combined modem & router ("Virgin Media Super Hub"). I have two questions -

1. I have a couple of Apple Airport wifi routers dotted around the house and want to keep using them. Is it possible to disable the wifi function on the Super Hub as it will not be needed and will only "pollute" the already crowded wifi spectrum?

2. I have various internet radios (Reciva based) that I want to keep using. It has been reported recently on the yournetradio.com forum for owners of Pure Flow radios that VM's Superhub is blocking certain streams and podcasts, possibly due to a firmware bug or misconfiguration. Can anyone confirm this? If the Superhub is preventing me from using my radios, the upgrade is a nonstarter for me.

Thanks for any info.

Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Neil_D

Re: 30 MB upgrade & blocking of internet streams

Hi zeewier,

We recently had an issue with the firmware of the SuperHub whereby streams from BBC iPlayer, Youtube and other streaming sites were affected.

We have recently released a new firmware upgrade for the Superhub to resolve these issues.

Kind Regards,

Neil D
Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as a Helpful Answer? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question. Please don't send private messages directly to the forum team unless they ask you to, post your issue to the forum first.
Please use plain text.
Crafty
zeewier

Thank you, good to know.

Regarding my other question - can the SuperHub be used as a traditional cable modem like the one I have now, ie by disabling or switching off the wifi function? I am quite keen to continue using my current Apple Airports (there are only Apple Macs in my house and these obviously work very well with Airports, including printing via wifi) and I have no need for an additional wifi access point provided by the SuperHub as it would occupy a wifi channel unnecessarily.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
paultechy

yeah some people can get their router to work just fine by attach the router to any of the LAN ports on the back of hub.. if that doesn't work you can do the following:

There is an update due to be released shortly that will allow you to do this. In the meantime there is a workaround that you can try:-
Plug your cable router’s WAN port into any of the LAN ports on the Hub/Superhub
Plug your PC into any Hub/Superhub LAN port and access the management page by entering 192.168.0.1 into your web browser
Login to the Hub/Superhub the username/password details are on a sticker on the side of your hub
On the LAN IP page examine the DHCP lease info; you should see your PC and the second router list.
Note the MAC address of the router and add it to the DHCP reservation section and give the second router an IP address of 192.168.0.10. (Use ipconfig /all in a cmd window to find the MAC address of your PC if your not sure which is which)
Now go to the DMZ host page on the Hub/Superhub and enter the same IP address of the second router (e.g. 192.168.0.10)
Additional Suggestion:- At this stage it would also be wise to turn off the Hub/Superhub wireless functionality and firewall and let your second router provide this for you
Turn off the second router and back on again, plug your PC into the second router, login to the second router and set the router’s WAN setup for "Does your Internet connection require a login" to NO, this may also be known as Internet Connection type - "Automatic Configuration - DHCP" (it varies from router to router) and then you should see the WAN or internet as 192.168.0.10 Connect any remaining devices to the second router
The changes are now complete

you could also take a look at, same guide, but goes into a bit more details.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/General-broadband-questions/VMDG280-Virgin-Netgear-router-is-unw...

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Please use plain text.
Trust Me, I’m a Doctor
Chris_K

Hi zeewier

Whilst using the superhub as a SACM is not currently supported by Virgin Media it is something that other members of the community may be able to help with

Regards,

Chris Kean

Help & Support Forum Team

If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the Kudos Star. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution? You can also help other users find useful posts by Tagging them with keywords.

If you are new to the forum, please remember to search the forum before posting your question.
Please use plain text.