cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VirginMedia
Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff

Get ready to be blown away! 

We're really pleased to announce that Manchester is the first city to benefit from “Project Lightning”, unveiled earlier this year.   This major expansion of ultrafast connectivity to 4 million premises over the next five years is the single largest investment in the UK’s broadband digital infrastructure for more than a decade.

World first: Manchester set to be ‘blown away’ by speed of Virgin Media

To mark the launch of its ultrafast broadband network expansion, we're celebrating with a world-first ‘High Speed Selfie’ photo booth experience in Piccadilly Gardens, Manchester. 

The two day public experience is the first of its kind ever created and gives visitors the unique opportunity to be photographed in the face of g-force speeds. Former Girls Aloud member Sarah Harding trialled the results in a London studio last week. Check it out below! 

Not in Manchester, fear not! As Virgin Media continues its rollout in towns and cities across the UK, the ‘High Speed Selfie’ will be there to mark the occasion.

Up to 150,000 Manchester premises to secure first time access to ultrafast broadband

An extra 150,000 Manchester premises benefit from ultrafast broadband for the first time as Virgin Media expands its network based on demand from consumers and communities which register their interest at virginmedia.com/cablemystreet.

Today’s announcement covers premises in Manchester. Virgin Media expects to connect more premises in neighbouring postal towns prioritised according to demand from consumers and businesses.

Virgin Media ‘breaks ground’ on first 20,000 premises

Work starts this week to connect the first 20,000 Manchester homes and businesses to broadband speeds of 152Mb, at least twice as fast as the fastest speeds available from BT, TalkTalk and Sky.   Broadband speed and the capacity it delivers matter for consumers and businesses. Data usage on the Virgin Media network is growing at 60 per cent every year which, if this trend continues, will be 10,000 per cent higher in ten years.

Watch: Sarah Harding gets ‘blown away’ as High Speed Selfie booth launches!

We asked Sarah, why high speed broadband is important to her and just what she thought of the High Speed Selfie booth! 

“Being from the North-West myself, I was really excited to be involved in a project that brings better, faster internet access to Manchester, as well as the rest of the UK. Fast broadband is essential to me – I like to download music and catch up on TV shows when I get the chance, as I travel so much!

“When I was asked to take part in the High Speed Selfie, I have to confess that I was a little nervous. But once I’d had a go, it was so much fun – I was literally blown away. I hope the people of Manchester enjoy the experience as much as I did – I can’t wait to see the pictures of everyone!”