cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a Router to extend wifi network

SaintDoglet
Tuning in

Hi, I would like to extend my home wifi network to another room in my house which the signal does not currently reach to. I have an ethernet cable running from my existing Virgin Super Hub to that room.

Is it as simple as just buying any new router and connecting it via ethernet to the Super Hub?

Thanks!

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

H4MZ4
On our wavelength

*I just took a read of my reply and it sounds kinda complicated, therefore let me make it a little simpler*

You kinda have 2 options, the first is the simple way which is accessing the super hub settings and enabling "Modem Mode" which I believe let's you connect a router via ethernet directly into the SuperHub, letting the 2nd router give out the connection which is more likely to be a stronger connection and bigger than what the Super Hub would've provided. You can find more about this here: Modem Mode

The second way is to turn the 2nd router into a wireless repeater. This has a great advantage but is a little more complicated. This includes connecting the 2nd router into the super hub, but adjusting the settings (either via a dedicated "Wireless Repeater" option depending on the router, or manually adjusting the settings which is a quite advanced). The benefit on the wireless repeater is that the super hub is giving out it's connection, but also the 2nd router, therefore giving you a bigger range of wireless strength in your house. But the disadvantage is how it may be a little difficult to achieve. You can find more about this here: Wireless Repeater

*Anyway, I removed the original message as it may have be complicating to understand*

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

I find the easiest routers to setup and get along with are the ASUS ones, the interface is very simple and depending on how you want to spend depends on how capable they are and they have brilliant price ranges, I enclose an example below that would be more than capable of what your looking for.

http://www.gearbest.com/wireless-routers/pp_290309.html?currency=GBP&gclid=CO_M4dfK9s8CFcIV0wodOK8C2...

Agrees with Kippies on this one.  There's plenty of stuff on the innernets on how to set it up.   Even I managed to do it using this guide with a few minor alterations: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/ConfiguringTwoWirelessRoutersWithOneSSIDNetworkNameAtHomeForFreeRoamin...Smiley Happy

I just made sure that my other router stuck out like a sore thumb with it's IP address.  Some brands of anti-virus may not like it though.

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π

http://www.ebuyer.com/482523-asus-rt-n12e-n300-eco-series-wireless-router-rt-n12e?mkwid=sWA3N2WiH_dt...

That will do what you need without any room for error, it is wireless N so not as fast as AC, but it should be more than capable of doing anything you could need with ease and can be popped into access point mode with little fuss (and damn cheap!)

12 REPLIES 12

H4MZ4
On our wavelength

*I just took a read of my reply and it sounds kinda complicated, therefore let me make it a little simpler*

You kinda have 2 options, the first is the simple way which is accessing the super hub settings and enabling "Modem Mode" which I believe let's you connect a router via ethernet directly into the SuperHub, letting the 2nd router give out the connection which is more likely to be a stronger connection and bigger than what the Super Hub would've provided. You can find more about this here: Modem Mode

The second way is to turn the 2nd router into a wireless repeater. This has a great advantage but is a little more complicated. This includes connecting the 2nd router into the super hub, but adjusting the settings (either via a dedicated "Wireless Repeater" option depending on the router, or manually adjusting the settings which is a quite advanced). The benefit on the wireless repeater is that the super hub is giving out it's connection, but also the 2nd router, therefore giving you a bigger range of wireless strength in your house. But the disadvantage is how it may be a little difficult to achieve. You can find more about this here: Wireless Repeater

*Anyway, I removed the original message as it may have be complicating to understand*

Hi, thanks for the reply. I definitely want the wireless repeater option. 

Would you recommend any particular router as a good option for this? E.g. one with a simple auto wireless repeater mode!

Cheers

I find the easiest routers to setup and get along with are the ASUS ones, the interface is very simple and depending on how you want to spend depends on how capable they are and they have brilliant price ranges, I enclose an example below that would be more than capable of what your looking for.

http://www.gearbest.com/wireless-routers/pp_290309.html?currency=GBP&gclid=CO_M4dfK9s8CFcIV0wodOK8C2...

You will obviously need to choose another retailer I just grabbed that to show you an example, although obviously the brand of router you go for it a personal thing so I can only show you ones I have personally worked with 🙂

You can also grab a wifi repeater, one with ethernet will allow you to plug in the cable you already have and then use its wifi chip to rebroadcast the signal, I have a similar setup in my shed 50 metres up the garden where I have a long cable wired from the house all the way into the shed then plugged into the repeater, TP-Link ones should do the trick just fine and pretty cheap too

The one thing you DONT want is a wireless repeater.

What you actually want is an access point (AP) as you HAVE an Ethernet connection to the room in question, right?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-AP300-Processor-Beamforming-Technology/dp/B0041JNTSQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=... as an example

Or the Ubiquiti ones get a good name.

Any decent brand of router will also have an AP mode.

A wireless repeater will connect to your CURRENT WiFi and "boost" it at the expense of halving your WiFi speed.

Thats not the case with the tplink setups, the firmware picks up an active connection from the LAN side and then pushes it out over wifi, i know this as the wifi signal does not reach up the top of the garden so it couldn't repeat it. works just fine 🙂

I have a Superhub in Room A, then an ethernet cable running into Room B (which does not get wireless signal), so I need something to put at the end of the ethernet cable in Room B to extend the wifi network into that room.....

Agrees with Kippies on this one.  There's plenty of stuff on the innernets on how to set it up.   Even I managed to do it using this guide with a few minor alterations: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/ConfiguringTwoWirelessRoutersWithOneSSIDNetworkNameAtHomeForFreeRoamin...Smiley Happy

I just made sure that my other router stuck out like a sore thumb with it's IP address.  Some brands of anti-virus may not like it though.

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π