Menu
tvsparkes
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

wifi

I am on VM most expensive package, which is supposed to include 200 mb/sec.  I am only getting 40 mb/sec.  Who in VM can I address to get this sorted out?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: wifi

if you are using wifi 40 may be all you can get depending on the quiptment and area you are on.

What speeds do you get wired with a gigabit network card
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi tvsparkes, 

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to see that you have been having trouble with your WiFi. 

I have taken a look and it seems you are affected by fault ref F004906610 for slow speeds at peak times. The current review date is 13/09/2017. 

Please give this thread a bump closer to the time and we will get an update on this issue for you. 

Are you having trouble with your speeds outside of peak hours? 

It would also help to know how the connection is wired. Pop the Hub into Modem only Mode with the computer in safe mode with networking and let us know if there is a difference. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
tvsparkes
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The speed is only 40 MB per second at the quietest time of the day. In the evening it is only 10 to 20 mb/second.
But you have surely typed an incorrect date for this to be corrected. Are you really saying it will be months before the speed will be improved to the contract speed that VM has signed with me of 200 MB/second. If this is the case I need to terminate my contract with VM. Please reply as soon as possible.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Did you test the speed with a wired connection as APcyberax suggested?

Pointless posting wireless speeds as wireless is affected by many factors including range, wireless interference, client hardware and the topography of your home. I would be aware maby wireless clients are only capable of 40 to 50Mbps.

If the wired speeds are very slow in the evening, then it is time to think about leaving.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi tvsparkes, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am sorry about the long lead time, I did go back and double check just to be sure are the review date is 13 SEP 2017, so the information I have given is correct. 

Griffin raises a good question, did you ever manage to try the connection wired as it will give a better indication on how the speeds look during the day rather than a wireless connection as son many other things can affect a wireless connection. 

Let us know. 

Many thanks

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
tvsparkes
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Emma:  Yes, the 40 mb/sec (usually less and about 12 mb/sec in the evening) is from a wired-in connection.  What is the reason that it will be six months before the problem is corrected?  Is there an issue with local authorities to dig up the streets to lay new fibre optic cable?  Something is very wrong about this, can you understand or perhaps discover what is involved?  I left Talktalk, where their old-fashioned copper connection was giving 50 mb/sec to join VM to obtain the contracted and offered 200 mb/sec, via a supposed fibre optic connection.  Should I revert back - they would be much cheaper than the 90 pounds I am being charged by VM , and I'd have a faster connection?

Incidentally, every time I open my VM account it tells me that I have been connected at 200 mb/sec, which, of course, not the case. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey tvsparkes,

Thanks for getting back to us Smiley Happy

These fault can be tricky and take a sometime to resolve due to the complexity of the work involved. We don't know the specifics at the moment, but when the fault ticket is reviewed, we will have more info about the progress /  delays.

Thanks for your continued patience,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If the fault is ongoing you can claim a reduced bill every month until this is fixed.

I would call up and get this started now, and get a rolling reduction setup for every month it is not fixed. 

0 Kudos