Menu
dsb2hkp
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

what's the best w-f- range extender?

Hi there,

Since extending the back of our house, we have had major issues connecting onto the Wi-Fi and as a result this is the second month that I have ran out of mobile phone data as the kids are on youtube downloading videos and i'm not on wifi.

We have called technical and tried a few things but nothing has worked so I think the next step would be to buy a Wi-Fi range extender and I would appreciate anyone who has had a similar problem and has bought an extender that has solved the problem...

thanks in advance

Anna

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
dsb2hkp
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: what's the best w-f- range extender?

hi there

that sounds great - could you let me know which devolo unit you have - there are lots on amazon!

and could you clarify, does this plus into the room where your router is or do you plug it in at the part of the house where you are struggling with Wi-Fi?

thanks in advance

Anna

0 Kudos

All Replies
vircom
Well-informed
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I use a powerline wifi access​ point to give better access. This uses the ac mains cabling to get the signal to the access point which then broadcasts the additional wifi signal. Wifi extenders receive the existing radio signal the rebroadcast, I have never used one as I have seen reports that they are less dependable. I use Devolo DLan units and have done successfully for a few years now. There are a few other cheaper makes available but I have no personal experience of using them so cannot comment. Best to Google "wifi access point review" and see what the Computer Magazines etc recommend.
dsb2hkp
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

hi there

that sounds great - could you let me know which devolo unit you have - there are lots on amazon!

and could you clarify, does this plus into the room where your router is or do you plug it in at the part of the house where you are struggling with Wi-Fi?

thanks in advance

Anna

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

For an access point you plug one unit in next to you router (SHub) and connect it with an Ethernet (supplied with Devolo). You then plug the wifi unit into a socket where you want to improve the wifi. If you have no powerline at present the easiest oftion is to get a starter kit including both units. I have several Devolo dLan 550 units giving several Ethernet connections around the house plus the one wifi point which is 2.4G band only. They do a more expensive dLan1200 option which gives both 2.4 and 5G bands plus 2 wired Ethernet ports so is more future proof. The dLan 550 also has a single Ethernet port. Might be useful for connecting a V6 box or another wired device to your SHub in the future.

Although the dLan550 is still available and theoretically superior, it appears that Devolo may now only be offering the slightly cheaper dLan500. I assume they think the more demanding customers will now opt for the dLan1200.

If you just want to enable a bit of surfing and YouTube via mobile I would guess any of the above would be okay. If you want high definition streaming and on line gaming the top end units may be a better bet.
0 Kudos