Menu
IainOb1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

uploads unstable after speed increase

Our internet speeds were boosted up to 100mb from 50 and now the upload speed isnt stable at all spiking up and down constantly. Speed tests even stop sometimes due to the speed dropping to 0.

Download seems very stable giving me constant 105mb even at peak times but the upload issue is causing problems with games online.

Both were stable and fine before the upgrade.

I use the superhub 2 in modem mode and use a asus router as the super hub 2 had wireless drop outs on 5ghz and 2.5ghz constantly and the internet would drop out. Now using the asus router i have zero drop outs.

If people have another router in the house try using the hub in modem mode it may solve many of your problems, the hubs are not fit for the job and have many issues.
My Broadband Ping - virgin
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: uploads unstable after speed increase

Maybe a power level issue.  Can you post your Upstream and Downstream data here and we can take a look.

To access put 192.168.100.1 into your browser's URL and you should see the hub's management screen ... don't sign in, simply click on Router Status to see the relevant data.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
IainOb1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Heres my upstream and down stream.

I have also found the bufferbloat now is now very high too. Even capping my bandwidth in my router does not drop the bufferbloat which it used to before the speed increase.

It looks like the connection is too unstable now since the upgrade.

downstream.JPGupstream.JPGlog.JPG

0 Kudos
IainOb1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

To get a stable download with A rating for bufferbloat I have to cap my download to 80Mb and my upload to 3Mb.

If I leave them un capped my download can go to 106Mb and the Upload goes up over 6Mb but the download has very bad buffer bloat in F ratng, and the uploads spike up and down wildly. Just to note the uploads still fluctuate even with the cap and actually spike lower with a cap too.

When I had the 50Mb connection I could actually cap it at 50Mb in my router and I got an A rating for Bufferbloat and had both solid non fluctuating uploads and downloads.

Now it seems the speed increases are not stable increases and cause too many spikes and huge bufferbloat.

VM needs to look at the quality of its connections not just the speeds. Speeds mean nothing if the stability and bufferbloat is all over the place.

Gaming on VM connections is not the best due to the unstable connections and latency and it needs sorting really as it has gone on for a long time. Thats why gamers tend to jump ship and go with a supplier with, yes lower speeds, but much better latency and stability.

Games, streaming and general website loading need a stable low latency connection not super speeds.

0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

You need to see which QOS algoythym you are using, I find FQ_CODEL is the most effective at handling buffer bloat in my personal setup, what router are you using?
0 Kudos
deviousiphone
Rising star
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Also the extra speed means extra load on the modem so that with how the DOCSIS channel system works adds a minimal delay, but I will tell you now it is not entirely responsible for bufferbloat as much as VDSL, the faster your connection the more pressure on the router, so this is why QOS kicks in, to help manage this problem, however many different routers use different standards, I am on a netgear nighthawk R8000, I have used dd-wrt on this router and I have QOS enabled with the rates of 215,000 for down and 21,000 for up, and I have no issues whatsoever with gaming or bufferbloat
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Your downstream power levels are too low. If you have a attenuator screwed to the coax at the back of hub, try removing it.

The logs would also suggest that your downstream is in some distress.

You will need to contact VM for resolution, either by waiting here about a week until a VM Forum Team Member picks up the thread, or give them a call on 150 from a VM line or 0345 454 1111 for a quicker response.

0 Kudos
IainOb1
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I have tested now and the best results are with setting the downloads to 80 and uploads to 5.

Going above those causes big bufferbloat. So in reality the connection can't handle the speeds higher than 80Mb even though speeds can go up to 106Mb.

The uploads still are not stable and fluctuate up and down wildly from 1 to bursting up to 7 even though i have capped them. The speed tests sites show the uploads like a saw waveform its that bad. This was a solid block before the upgrades in speed.

This really does need adressing as not everyone will have a router that can cap both uploads and downloads. The general public should not have to do this, bufferbloat is fixable VM end and all isp's have been told about bufferbloat and its effects. The fluctuating speeds and bursts of speed are effecting every part of using the web from gaming, streaming and web browsing. We need stable connections not fluctuating high latency connections.

Pings to most gaming servers are always high from VM even though pings to local servers are not too bad. 40 ping is low as i can get to all major gaming severs, where there are always people with 20 pings even from the same country. Yes distance are involved but it seems VM has the worst latency for gaming when really in theory cable broadband should be the best but it is certainly lacking in the quality of connection.

0 Kudos
IainOb1
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I have an Asus RT-AC66U, the normal QOS setting do nothing but the bandwidth limiter QOS settings dropped to 80Mb do stop the bufferbloat.
0 Kudos
IainOb1
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

This is using normal QOS settings set to on.

dlsreports.JPG

0 Kudos