Menu
arborlinden
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

unreliable internet speed in Norwich area

For years my broadband has been rock steady at just over 100. For the last few month it can drop down to as low as 5 on a regular basis. I was told that this was due to "the Government not allowing Virgin Media to undertake essential work" that "all problems would be fixed by 20th December" "I would be given a £20.00 rebate of my charges as compensation.

It is now January and the feed loss is still happening and today I was told that some of my other equipment might be interfering.

I am a Virgin Media fan but am having to investigate kicking them into touch and getting another supplier who I know can never match Virgin Media speeds but hopefully will never give me only 5Mb for long periods.

To answer the inevitable questions: I have rebooted the Virgin Media hub more times than I have had hot breakfasts. I have dialled 150 to report broadband failure an unknown number of times but it must be at least 50. I do not use wireless. All test are done with wired connection direct to Hub

I do not use tv so have no idea if my networks speed failures effect tv.

what I would like to know is "am I alone in the Norwich area or anyone else that has this sort of problem and who is treated with contempt when seeking a remedy from Virgin Media?"

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: unreliable internet speed in Norwich area

Hey arborlinden,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy I'm sorry to hear you're suffering problems with your speeds at the moment, I understand how frustrating this can be.

I've run some tests from our end and I can see there's currently a problem with excessive peak time demand on the network. Our engineers are currently in the process of planning to undertake broadband upgrades to support this increased demand in your area. Once the work is completed you'll find that your speeds return to normal.

The reference for the ongoing work is F004042923 and the current review date is 1st March 2017. I'll pass your details over to a colleague who'll be in touch with regards to a loss of service credit. They'll also provide you with further updates at the review date.

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
arborlinden
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Kev_B wrote:

Hey arborlinden,

Welcome to the community Smiley Happy I'm sorry to hear you're suffering problems with your speeds at the moment, I understand how frustrating this can be.

I've run some tests from our end and I can see there's currently a problem with excessive peak time demand on the network. Our engineers are currently in the process of planning to undertake broadband upgrades to support this increased demand in your area. Once the work is completed you'll find that your speeds return to normal.

The reference for the ongoing work is F004042923 and the current review date is 1st March 2017. I'll pass your details over to a colleague who'll be in touch with regards to a loss of service credit. They'll also provide you with further updates at the review date.

Just got off the phone to 150 having been told that my 100MB service will be restricted to 10MB until the 1st March ( I've just checked it is!) to allow infrastructure upgrade to take place. this the same upgrade that was completed by 21st December but is "now having to be redone"

I will phone 150 again to ask what speed 200MB customers are being restricted to as I believe that service promises no traffic management

0 Kudos
arborlinden
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Area 22 Norwich down to 2MB this evening 1/50 of paid for speed. Traffic management gone mad or was the promise of at least 10MB during network upgrade work just hot air. Customers will be voting with their feet soon
0 Kudos
Chris666
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Your not the only one suffering in norwich i have been getting as low as 0.60 mbps the last few evenings , i have been given a different reference number for my fault though (F003978992)  , been having problems for months and been given 2 different fix dates , mine is also 1 / 3 /17 now , but doubt it will be sorted , where abouts are you arborlinden as im in NR7.. 

0 Kudos
arborlinden
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

nr4 near UEA and Research Park. Have another virgin account in NR2 and this rock steady. My conclusion , rightly or wrongly, is that recent massive development in both residential and business in this large area has increased the Virgin customer base enormously causing system virtual collapse at busy times.
0 Kudos
ashleywyatt
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

NR5 quite near UEA also. had Virgin Tv/BB package for several years with no issues at all. 200MB service. Recently lowered this to a 100MB service. Now I notice that I am getting 10 - 35 d/l speeds at 10 - 11pm, varies alot. Fault number I was given tonight is F004349951 with an end Feb date for "upgrading the cables". I am getting a credit evidently. No contact from Virgin advising me of works to their infrastructure.

I don't want credits I want a stable fast internet. I think it is likely that there are too many users now. Virgin are on borrowed time - if its not sorted very quickly I'll be off elsewhere and I think some others will be too - reading some of the posts above.

0 Kudos
arborlinden
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Seems like we are representative of a widespread Virgin Media problem in which they are victims of their own success where a good service increases demand to the extent where supply cannot keep up with it. This is not unique; BT and the railways have the same problem. I understand from Virgin Media customer services that they had hoped to fix the demand shortfall in the Norwich area by 21st December but the work that was done to achieve that is "having to be redone" hence the new target date of 1st March.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi arborlinden,

I'm very sorry to hear about the connection fault experienced.

I'd like to check up on this for a further update further to Kev_B's post, but I'm unable locate your account information at the moment to do this.

I've sent you a private message so that we can confirm some details.

Speak to you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
The_Major
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Good Morning arborlinden,

I to am Virgin Media customer on the 200Mb package in Norwich (NR5) area, and have been experiencing incredibly slow speeds during the periods of 1600hrs-2359hrs (aka peak period). Recently in the past week during this peak period i have seen speeds down to as low as 3.5Mbps Down and a solid 12.0Mbps Up.

I too have raised this issue to the forum users and VM mods around November last year, see link below: 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Downstream-issues-in-Area-22-NR5-Norwich/m-p/3240715/high...

I thought the problem had gone away, but how wrong i was.

Just to clarify i am currently out of contract and have been since December 2016 and on rolling contract until said problems improve. Also to answer any of the copy paste brigade, i have rebooted the router many times, most of my important devices are wired and a few are wireless. The Superhub is in full superhub mode and not Modem (removing possible fault from the process). Even changed the Wireless channels to remove any possible interference from other routers nearby. All said devices experience the same crushing speeds during peak period no matter if wired or wireless.

To add to this story after a 50 minute phone call to VM, it was found to be a 'fault with the router and line'. The fault with the router was apparently cleared by doing a full factory reset and i have left as is. Will be waiting until peak periods strikes to prove this fault has cleared.

The other was a line fault apparently for my area (F004039356) due to upgrade works for a 300Mbps service which started on the 5th of January 2017 and will continue to the end of March 2017. Some interruptions or reduction in speed might be noticed as they 'unplug and change one cable at a time'.

Hope this last part is help to anyone in Norwich experiencing problems as it may answer a few problems. Safe to say i too have also received credit back from VM for disruptions to service whilst work continues.

If any VM mods are listening can you please confirm as i am in doubt to information given over the phone (old saying the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing).

0 Kudos