Menu
coppertop
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

superhub with no pc

Hello,

My superhub is currently in my dining room conected to the wall socket in there and my pc.  The PC is very old and we dont use it anymore as we all have laptops.  We have a Tivo box in the front room and want to get rid of the pc and move the superhub into the front room with the Tivo box.  Spoke to Virgin to see if this is possible and was told yes, we can connect the superhub to the Tivo box for £99!!!!!!  Thought this was a bit high so wondering if anyone can advise how we do it ourselves as I'm sure it must just be unplugging and plugging in but then not sure how we connect all laptops etc or if I'm being stupid and this just happens.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: superhub with no pc

hiya @coppertop relocating any of the virginmedia hardware onto different points/adding splitters etc.. can cause a whole host of possible problems e.g. noise ingress, slow connection, dropping connection etc.. with the hub it doesn't need to be wired to any device apart from the white coax cable.. is the laptops getting a slow connection where the hub is currently located?
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

you can get a internet lead from your superhub to tivo you don't have to move it drill a hole for the wire cheaper why is long cable and make it out of cat5e or cat6 wire what you can get from ebay or amazon and clip it your self you can get digrams from the internet about wiring it up

here is one www.groundcontrol.com/galileo/ch5-ethernet.htm it is much cheaper then gettting virgin media out

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
coppertop
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

All speeds are fine no problem at all with the broadband service just that we're redesigning the dining room so need the hub in a different room. The broadband box the white coaxial goes to at the moment is in the dining room but our TiVo box is in the front room connected to a different box so we thought we could move the hub & connect to the TiVo box to get our broadband but m not sure if this would change our current IP address or if we don't connect it to the TiVo at all. Basically we need the hub in a different room to the broadband box so what do we connect the coaxial cable to?
0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

don't need to move it if you connected all laptops via wireless if you want to connect the superhub to tivo get powerline

0 Kudos
coppertop
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorted 😊 I just connected the hub to the broadband socket in the front room & luckily it was the same IP address so everything just remained the same, glad I didn't pay £99 cost me £2.99 for a coaxial lead 😂😂😂
0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

i hope its protected coaxial lead you can't use some of the made up once you can get cheap side

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

if your power levels mess up now if its not shelded coaxial lead it can effect your street box

0 Kudos