Menu
gedbloggs
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

super hub 3 wifi rubbish

hi I recently took delivery of the super hub3 after complaining that my super hub 2 wasn't giving a good wifi signal out to my smart tv and kindle.The call centre guy said the new hub would remedy  any wifi problems I have so I ordered one, well  have just installed the hub 3 and guess what?  the signal to my smart tv and kindle is still the same    all I get is a fair signal,  not a good signa,l not a brilliant signa,l just a fair one . I do feel that I have been conned by virgin  as I did expect more from   the hub3  so I think I will get in touch with virgin and  maybe give sky or bt a try as am really fed up with bad wifi signals in my home.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: super hub 3 wifi rubbish

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference. Most ISP's wireless router are a much of a muchness and no ISP can guarentee wireless signal as it depends ob many factors outside their control. It looks like you were given the usual First Line Support guff. A decent third party router will out perform any ISP's standard routers.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

I would also check for other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It is highly likely that you'll get the same WiFi signals with another supplier.  The SUperhub and now Hub 3 (and indeed BT's supposedly brilliant WiFi) are all constructed in the same way and (by law) are constrained to the same maximum output power.  The only leeway a supplier has is how they position their antennas.  Best would be external antennas, but that would screw the suppliers' profit margins unless they charge for the modem/router.  The modem/router cannot be so large as to cause difficulty and unsightliness in the home; so the antennas have to be internally placed.  BT, Sky, VM - all the same in that respect.

WiFi is a shared and heavily contended medium in the 2.4GHz band.

You haven't told us anything about where the TV is and where the Hub 3 is located.

The 2.4GHz signal is highly interference prone from neighbours crowding on your channel and that will totally screw up any real time stuff such as TV streaming.

The 5GHz signal is much less interference prone, but, having a shorter wavelength, doesn't pass through walls well.

In my house, and for the above reasons, I use Powerline adapters to punt Internet around the house, connecting to them on the 5GHz band.

Keep us informed.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Have you had a better signal from any other router in the past.

How is the Hub3 situated in relation to your tv?

Is the Hub3 very clost to a wall or large metalic object etc?

Might be worth getting a wifi analyser app on your phone and see if that provides any useful info.

0 Kudos
Oldcroney
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have had 6 months of rubbish wifi - WHO on earth voted  Virgin to be the best supplier in 2016 - I have no idea

Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Oldcroney wrote:

I have had 6 months of rubbish wifi - WHO on earth voted  Virgin to be the best supplier in 2016 - I have no idea

But why is VM responsible for your WiFi?  They provide a cheap get-you-going gateway, the 802.11abgnac wireless standards being adhered to. 

There is better wireless technology out there (like the new BT Smart Hub) and VM may have to compete with that.  But even new technology can't adequately penetrate metal, certain types of wall and so on.  That new technology is also available in standalone routers (for use with modem mode) but the laws of physics will still apply.

WiFi enabled Powerline adapters usually get round range issues.

I didn't vote, but when you look at VDSL (with its serious copper/aluminium limitations) vs Cable, it's not a surprise that VM get a better rating.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos