Menu
SomeRandomKing
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

still problems after engineer visit!

Hi

Back in January I received a email, stating that their was work happening in my area and I may have problems until 17th January funny thing is I hadn't had no problems until the 17th when the work was meant to be finished.

My internet keeps going down usually after midnight, but when It goes down its not on everything could stop working on my phone, laptop but work on my TV and my other laptop (all wireless) sometimes it may stop working on my Xbox (wired) but work on everything else that's wireless and I'm having to do a reboot at least once a day to fix it all every time.

A Engineer did visit last week, who claimed that my Wi-Fi was to weak in my bedroom and stuck a booster on it, funny thing is my hub is in my bedroom?! I receive 100% signal being that close as you would expect, and the booster hasn't done anything, also my TV, PlayStation , tablet are all in their receiving 100% signal this was never a problem before! if I was to take a wild guess I would say I need a new hub but I'm no expert.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: still problems after engineer visit!

Hello SomeRandomKing

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you are having problems with the wireless, it may be interference or as you say perhaps the hub.

May be worth trying a channel change Changing your Virgin Media Hub's wireless channel or if that does not work please would you try a factory reset first and let us know how that goes Resetting your Virgin Media Hub

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
SomeRandomKing
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thank you for getting back to me I have done both things that you suggested before the engineer visit hoping for a quick fix rather than call someone out.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi SomeRandomKing,

I'm not at all against replacing your Hub if that is what is needed. However I do need to verify that the current Hub is not functioning as it should. 

The problem with wireless related issues is that there are so many external factors that could disrupt the signal. In that situation replacing the Hub would not make any difference.

I have a few questions if you don't mind:

• When the connection stops working on some devices, do you get any error message?
  • Does the device show as being disconnected from your local network?
  • Or does the device seem to be connected but loses Internet throughput?
  • Does this affect the 2.4GHz frequency or the 5GHz frequency, or both?

Please provide as much information as you can. Also please take a look at our article on how to optimise your Hub's wireless signal.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
SomeRandomKing
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi
Sorry for the late reply, when the devide stops working on some devices I do get a error message sometimes which will say "resolving host".

When the device stops working it still shows as connected, just doesn't work.

seems to affect both 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequency.

one more thing to add is that it used to work perfectly before nothing has changed in my setup.

Regards

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi SomeRandomKing, 

Thanks for getting back in touch, I am sorry to see you have continued to have trouble with your connection. 

I have taken a look and I can see a number of FECS (Forward Error Corrections) on your connection which can cause trouble with wireless in some cases. 

I have popped the details across to Networks, once I have more information I will let you know. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi SomeRandomKing, 

Just a quick update fault ref F005219306 has been raised for FECS. 

I will keep an eye on this for you and let you know as soon as I know more. 

All the best. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
SomeRandomKing
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

thank you so much, please keep me up to date

regards
0 Kudos
chaypea
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi all,

Surely if there are FECs then it means interleaving is doing is job? How about any errors present that aren't corrected?

I'd suspect you have wireless interference, and possibly a case of REIN (a type of interference) if the FECs are present, as errors are being corrected to some degree. REIN could effect the incoming signal too.

If you run a scan with Acrylic (for Windows) or WiFi Analyzer (for Android) can you post the graphical output so we can have visibility on your local wireless environment?

Cheers

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi SomeRandomKing,

Just a quick update fault ref F005219306  seems to be resolved now. 

I have taken a look at your connection and things seem to be ok. I can still see a little bit of an issue with FECS but it has certainly been reduced. 

How is the connection looking for you currently? 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

0 Kudos