Menu
ITEngineer999
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

routing issue to one website only

Hi All,

We've got a company website that has been accessed from within our company (the website is hosted externally) for a few years whilst we've been on BT but we've now moved over to Virgin and are getting sporadic issues accessing it in that running a tracert it seems to stop at the last backbone router (looks like it's managed by sucuri.net) however when we get the "page cannot be loaded" error we CAN access the website from everywhere else outside of our network. Even other sites on Virgin can. I have changed the MTU on our internal router but it's still happening. As the router is a backbone router that it appears to stop at we don't have any control over it and can't contact any support about it.

Has anyone had this before when they've moved over to virgin ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: routing issue to one website only

whats this one website you what to pick up that sucuri.net opens for me it can be a router problem

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
0 Kudos
ITEngineer999
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

When you say router problem, do you mean the Virgin router or the backbone router that looks like is under the control of Sucuri.net ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It strikes me that the most useful diagnostic would be to post a traceroute and let those who understand such things take a look. We'll then be able to see what is realy happening without second guessing

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
ITEngineer999
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I don't want to put the website details on here for security reasons but the "working" tracert is as below:

Tracing route to domain.com [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.79
2 7 ms 3 ms 3 ms 192.168.0.1
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 31 ms 27 ms 21 ms perr-core-2b-ae16-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.
253.138.249]
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 29 ms 27 ms 21 ms manc-bb-1d-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254
.42.118]
8 22 ms 25 ms 21 ms ae0.man11.ip4.gtt.net [77.67.65.141]
9 34 ms 33 ms 28 ms xe-2-1-0.lon90.ip4.gtt.net [141.136.105.146]
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 30 ms 30 ms 64 ms cloudproxy10160.sucuri.net [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]

Trace complete.

When it doesn't work we get to the same point on number 10 (***Request timed out in the above) but then the sucuri.net one doesn't appear.

We've tried it from a lot of other external locations including other clients that have Virgin and they seem to take a different route but work all the time.

what I need to know is that it looks like it's reaching a backbone router at sucuri.net and then stops so will Virgin be able to do anything about this such as re-route it as this all worked fine when they were with BT ?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi ITEngineer999,

Thank you for coming to our Forum for help with this, though apologies for our late reply.

My first reaction (to your report that the traceroute sometimes fails on Hop 10) is that this indicates a failed handover from 141.136.105.146 to sucuri.net.

However I would like to see how a successful traceroute (via another ISP) differs from one routed through our network. 

I appreciate that you don't wish to post the destination IP publicly so I'll send you a PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) in a moment so that the data can be kept private.

There is a possibility that the way in which we route to the destination requires some liaison between us and a 3rd party, it has happened in the past. Anyhow, I'll send that PM now and await your reply Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos