Menu
HarriH
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

router booster Q

Hi I have a basic VM router and need a boost as no wifi signal in room where new smart tv is going. Can you suggest the right booster and how simple is it ? Thanks

0 Kudos
Mackemmah
Tuning in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: router booster Q

Try an Ethernet over power connection better than WiFi.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors so it is not something VM can control or guarantee, no ISP can.  The VM hubs, like all free ISP routers, are basic devices that for some people are fine but for others not so much.  The only thing VM will suggest is trying different wireless channels, they have a guide here.

There is also a sticky post at the top of this board with good advice:
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Getting-a-better-Wireless-Network-Signal...

One option might be power line adapters as @Mackemmah has suggested.  These use the electrical wiring in your house to create a wired network without the need for long cables.  They are rarely as fast as the manufacturer's claim but are a lot more stable and less prone to interference than regular wireless boosters.  Some provide just wired connections and others come with additional wireless built in to allow you to create a wireless access point in parts of the house where the wireless signal is poor.   Some powerline adapter reviews here:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/20-best-powerline-adapters-2016-uk-3490638/

Another option to improve your wireless is with a third party router.  It is what I and many other customers do and it can make a huge difference.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.  

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hey HarriH,

Thanks for joining the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear that you're having problems connecting your new smart TV.

I can see you've already had some good advice from other members which is fantastic.

I just want to check your equipment and make sure everything is set-up as it should be, however, I'm not able to locate your account.

I'll send you a PM (purple envelope, top right) to confirm additional info.

Speak with you very soon,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos