Menu
AlexY
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

"super" hub 3 WiFi not working after modify reserved list in DHCP settings

Hi.

It looks like software glitch, every time I add or remove something from reserved address list, WiFi dissapears, both 2.4 and 5 G bands. If I try to disable/enable it, I/m getting red triangle with "not allowed" message as per picture below. Network is not visible by any device until hub is rebooted. Any solution without rebooting?wifi.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: "super" hub 3 WiFi not working after modify reserved list in DHCP settings

AlexY wrote: ... It looks like software glitch, every time I add or remove something from reserved address list, WiFi dissapears, both 2.4 and 5 G bands...... Network is not visible by any device until hub is rebooted. Any solution without rebooting....

Whether we refer to this as "software glitch" or just B.A.D (Broken As Designed) is just semantics but fwiw you're not alone......    meantime quite a few  have been playing with this over several firmware iterations and a few for even 17+months .....  

This is just 1 of many anomalies remaining even since 9.1.116V firmware that was rolled out between July2016 and Jan2017.  Coincidentally I revisited this recently (as is my want over last 17months) and as usual went thru predictable internal soft and external hard FR to no measurable improvement.  

Some of us have the advantage of testing more than 1 Hub concurrently so it's a lot more convenient to compare 802.11ac on both Hub models?  In my scenario then SH2AC (V200/12 on 8x2 bonded channels) and SH3 (V200Gamer on 20x2) both via BN37N_(Hove) Arris E6k CCAP/CMTS.

I also utilise 4 WiFi Routers and around 20 end devices mainly as a Trials/Test environment in conjunction with SamKnows monitoring on each of two SuperHubs.  

Results: 

Unfortunately even after many months and multiple FR's the bottom line is effectively that whatever combination of end devices I load onto each individual circuit then SH2AC will recycle a WiFi Wireless "change" within about 2-3 minutes whereas SH3 will take in excess of 10minutes.

Some of this 5GHz "initialisation/configuration" delay is to be expected since Band A upper (ch 48 - 64), and Band B (100+) require DFS/TPC  on UK RF spectrum and not to mention the former EIRP 200mW limit relative to 1000mw on UNI-ii channels....  which affects range..... 

In layman's terms it means the 5GHz WiFi chipsets have to check whether they have shared frequency's that are free of some Weather/ILS/Shipping/Military Radar or alternatively move to free parts of spectrum, give up etc....  

Now that should affect both Hubs equally ......   but as it happens we already discovered (back in Sept2015) that SH3 ICMP traffic was deprioritised ever since it's release on 16+ channels in 2015 and thus we surmised that there were Resource Issue (duly reported to VM). We have experienced this on other SH2/AC Trials previously but recently there has been confirmation "States side on Arris compatable-Puma 6  Hubs" that Intel have acknowledged a Puma 6 chipset issue.......   (which covers 24/32 x 8 channel bonding on Docsis3 with WiFi resource on same CPU......).

So yes we can see that SH2/AC can react somewhat faster......   but essentially SH3 is only (current) game in town that can accomodate >8x4 Channel bonding and thus effectively more realistically manage V200/300 Tiers via 16/20/24+ x 8  bonding without undue "load balancing/utilisation issues" that we find on legacy 8x2 channel Hubs! 

All the above just confuses and muddy's the waters further especially as Forum Teams cannot elaborate until Intel/Arris have released appropriate fixes (and LG/VM CPE Firmware/New Products have conducted usual Internal alpha/beta and then public beta trials..... )  On past performance that could easily drift into late 2017 and/or be superceded by SH4/DOCSIS3.1 pilots anyway.

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
AlexY
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: "super" hub 3 WiFi not working after modify reserved list in DHCP settings

Well. I was thinking about separate Wifi devices instead of relaying on ISP router since it is painful to reconfigure all devices when I move to another ISP, and it seems to be best option now, since this super hub is not so super. Thank you horseman for exhausting explanation. Time to switch this sh*t in to modem mode.

Regards

Alex

0 Kudos