Menu
tracythfc
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

problem with work laptop direct access connection

Hi all

Bear with me - I'm not very techy!

I have a new work laptop,I access work network via a direct connection. I have Hub 3

Cant get wi-fi or wired access to connect - it connects for 10 seconds and then drops off straightaway.

Work IT helpdesk seem to be stuck as they can't access with no internet! Although they think it might be a problem with the driver..

We've had problems of this sort before with an older hub when laptops were using a vpn and we had to adjust hub settings to allow the laptops to access internet.

Jut tried to phone helpdesk but after 30mins on the phone getting nowhere they cut me off!

Anyone got any ideas if any settings I can adjust? Or is this likely to be an issue with the laptop?

tia Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: problem with work laptop direct access connection

Hi traceythfc,

Thanks for posting on the community. It's nice to have you here.

I'm sorry to read of the issues you are having with connecting to the network on your laptop.

You can try to open ports within the router to see if that helps with the connection. Take a look at this link > Setting up Port Forwarding for a guide on how to do this.

Also try to connect whilst the Hub 3.0 is in modem mode to see if that will work.

Let us know how you get on

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
tracythfc
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sam

Thanks for trying to help but I have no idea how to set up port forwarding and unfortunately I have no other modem to use.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi traceyfc,

Thanks for the quick reply. 

When trying modem mode this is just for testing purposes and you won't need another router to do this. You will put the Hub 3.0 into modem mode, then have a direct connection from the Hub to the laptop to see if the connection works. 

In regards to port forwarding, take a look at the link I posted to see if that will help. 

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
tracythfc
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Sam, the link just takes me into the general help area.
I did a search and found info on port forwarding but I seem to have input lots of info that I don't know where to find....

The old hub was just tick/untick a box, much easier!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi traceyfc,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm sorry that the link I posted didn't work, try this one > Setting up Port Forwarding.

You will also need the port numbers that you need to open. If you are unsure of these, I'm sure your IT company will be able to provide this for you.

Speak soon

Sam

0 Kudos
tracythfc
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, that link worked Smiley Happy

Unfortunately port forwarding doesn't. Looking back through prev posts on the forum it seems there is a known fault with the Hub 3:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-wireless/Superhub-3-VPN-Connectivity/td-p/318246...

My IT team also believe this to be the case, and have had other issues with the new "Direct Access" vpn connection system.

Any idea when there will be a fix for the hub? Using modem option is not viable.

Thanks

Tracy

0 Kudos