Menu
Maxiesmum
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

printer wont connect to laptop since i got replacement router

since getting my router  replaced my printer wont connect to my laptop.  Worked fine with old router.  Any suggestions please as I have  tried almost everything!!!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: printer wont connect to laptop since i got replacement router

is printer wired to desktop or wifi ?. we have lots of hassle trying to use canon pixma as wired on one PC + wireless from others

printer software can be fickle. the simplest laptop fix is probably to uninstall- reinstall printer drivers using the printer set up CD, probably quicker than trying to figure out how the router swap may have jinxed it 

for info, what makes / models are your kit and how is it all connected - just in case we can spot a different clue

All Replies
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Our crystal balls got broken in the great crystal ball disaster of 1987!

Seriously, could you please provide some details, router old (SH1, SH2 or Hub3), new router, printer type (wired or wireless), machine used to access printer and how is it connected.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

most liklely the printer is still using the old router password, and not the new router password.... re do printer set up

Maxiesmum
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks I did reset printer with new password and it works fine on desktop but on laptop it says printer is offline .

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

is printer wired to desktop or wifi ?. we have lots of hassle trying to use canon pixma as wired on one PC + wireless from others

printer software can be fickle. the simplest laptop fix is probably to uninstall- reinstall printer drivers using the printer set up CD, probably quicker than trying to figure out how the router swap may have jinxed it 

for info, what makes / models are your kit and how is it all connected - just in case we can spot a different clue

Maxiesmum
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for reply. Printer is wireless Gonna uninstall later today and see what happens
davo9
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Cybmole,

Sorry to hijack this thread.  I've got the same problem and I've been scouring the internet for a solution.  I don't understand if you work for Virgin but if you have any bright ideas that can get this working again I'd be extremely grateful.

I've got an HP B110a connected to wireless.  Macbook connected to wireless. Printers and Scanners in Settings shows the printer is offline.  Sometimes the light goes green and it says online, but if I try to print it goes offline.  I have tried HP troubleshooting with no luck.  Uninstalled the printer driver and reinstalled.  It now looks a bit different.  Router is a new Hub 3.0.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Maxiesmum
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for all helpful replies. All sorted;  simple as uninstalling and re installing DOH !!!

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Maxiesmum wrote:

Thanks for all helpful replies. All sorted;  simple as uninstalling and re installing DOH !!!

Excellent. That's one of two essential fix-it strategies. the other is turn it off, turn it back on. Really tough cases sometimes require both Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

HP printers are very good at breaking / dying on month 13 of a 12 month warranty. I no longer buy them. On The last one we owned, the wifi bit just died after month 13, could not make or retain a connection, but the wired printer functions still worked  I had a HP scanner that died completely in month 13 also. My advice is ditch them and get cheaper to run Canon , plus generic replacement ink

Most consumer ink jet printers nowadays are built to a budget, so don't expect long life, do expect problems with printer feeds, bits of plastic that break and fall out of the inside.... [ our last but one Canon spat out 2 or 3 plastic lumps but stilll worked so long we we did not ask it to do double sided ! ]

do also expect useless FAQ and customer support from manufacturers, all you can really do is remove device from windows, reboot, re-install... and if wireless will not play nice, use it as wired only

0 Kudos