Menu
bensleys
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

new superhub 3 - wired port not working for Windows 10

Hi,

can you advise please. My 78 year old fathr had a new virgin service fitted yesterday and his wired ethernet connection doesn't work. He gets an error on his PC as ipcongig shows no IP address and the command below fails to get an IP address also;

>ipconfig /cleardns

>ipconfig /renew

(last command fails with cant reach the DHCP server on the Superhub.

Can someone please tell me exactly how to confirm all the Superhub 3 ethernet ports are working correctly? is there a step by step guide? Virgin have said the installation is not showing any errors but I don't think they have confirmed all of the ethernet ports work with a PC. In fact how can they determine that a Superhib is fully functional by solely relying on remote diagnostics? Obviously this is not always sufficient as some issues wont be detected in this way.

Many thanks in anticipation...

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: new superhub 3 - wired port not working for Windows 10

Seem to be quite a few threads regarding the superhub3 and wired connections.

anyway a few other things to try.

1stly when you connect the network lead does the LED on the port at the back of the hub where you plug the lead in flash, and also does the corresponding one on the pc flash also.

have you tried different ports and different network leads.

assuming led's are flashing, you could try giving your pc a static ip, something like 192.168.0.100 and then see if you can ping the hub at 192.168.0.1

have you tried resetting the hub back to defaults?

and as mentioned before can anything else connect and work via the hub?

0 Kudos

All Replies
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

the only simple way is to test with a different wired device, not-a-PC would be best as that rules out any windows 10 issues. so a cable to a smart TV or a streaming box, maybe.

all that assumes you have already ruled out a damaged cable, by testing with a different cable

if that is not practical - then the problem  could be a windows update issue for which there is a workaround - you set a static IP in the PC network properties, then if it connects OK you should install all available windows updates. after that, you should be able to revert to DHCP

[ there was a bad update from Microsoft a while ago which caused connection problems, devices would still work until they needed to renew the DHCP lease, then fail. A change of hub would force the need for a new DHCP lease, causing the bug to strike. you can google for more info, or see other threads here which discussed it  ]

cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

PS It is bad service for an engineer to depart before checking that everything works!

But I think the stupid hub / network design forces that.

When my HUB3 was installed the guy left after saying it should come on in about 30 minutes once it has finished downloading updates. In fact, it was closer to 60 minutes, a nerve-wracking wait. And when I said please leave your mobile number if case it does NOT fix itself I got " sorry, not allowed to do that, company policy"

Why can't they install whatever updates are needed to the hubs BEFORE taking them into customer's houses. the previous generation hubs worked out-of-the-box

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Seem to be quite a few threads regarding the superhub3 and wired connections.

anyway a few other things to try.

1stly when you connect the network lead does the LED on the port at the back of the hub where you plug the lead in flash, and also does the corresponding one on the pc flash also.

have you tried different ports and different network leads.

assuming led's are flashing, you could try giving your pc a static ip, something like 192.168.0.100 and then see if you can ping the hub at 192.168.0.1

have you tried resetting the hub back to defaults?

and as mentioned before can anything else connect and work via the hub?

0 Kudos
bensleys
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks to all who replied.

The solution was to execute the following commands after a reboot of Windows 10;

Go into the Windows Command shell window.

>ipconfig     ; to show old IP address

>ipconfig /cleardns

>ipconfig /renew

Then check with >ipconfig             ;to show the new ipaddress of the Virgin router.

Sadly virgin helpdesk didn't mention any of this as customer owned devices now appear to be off limits for support. This is somewhat short signed by Virgin as these commands are pretty ubiquitous and thsi approach doesn't start the relationship off to a good start.

Thanks again all!

0 Kudos