Menu
Dcm12
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

new large laitency

hi i have been with VM for years set up 100mb is fine on speed but quility has reduced i  moitor this with BQM recently my latency has doubled its making gaming a bad experience.

nothing in house changed , SH2.modem mode ,to route cat6 wired wan to PS4 wired.

this is a 1 room house all no wifi here no other users , when gaming nothing else  is running .Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 11.02.13.png

of course i reboot ps4 and super hub & router anyone have any ideas  i have contacted VMtecnical have told me nothing i dont already know i think there is noise issues up line somewhere all things considered  my max latency was below 20 i dont think the average on these graphs depicts the level of lag experience for serious gamer  FPS almost non playable  other BQM tools i have used show huge bloating effects , an average packet loss of 15 20 35 %  its very intermittent  is this what we are paying for its not only usane who has bolted with the money  

thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Excellence20
Dialled in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: new large laitency

This could be due to utilzation on your network or in your area.

If you post the first part of your postcode or area and ask one of the forum team to look into it, they should be able to tell you if your area is over-utilized.

Alternatively, try disconnecting all devices on your network and run a ping test to Google's primary DNS 8.8.8.8 concurrently in Command Prompt (Windows). If you're getting latency spikes or consistent high latency it's likely the area that's over-utilized if the team have already checked your noise etc.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

... or there is noise on the upstream which the VM bods can check when they get to this thread in a week or so.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Excellence20
Dialled in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Dcm12 wrote:

excellence 20 thanks   for reply i basically agree you hit the nail on top . my post code is BR1 this is area 20 for VM service.

im in modem mode on a SH2 not the 3  brand new router  all reconfigured m any times to sort this ,hard wired  testing no wifi.

yes i have changed DNS ,tried couple no difference ,ifconfig  on terminal osx   (i have detailed tests ping plot) from pingplot a test tool . will post, not just thinkbroadband as  shown here the latency as is grade F the worst possible .i have  engineering department contacting me Monday ,waste of time  re . re. re. re .  ( the cash cow) me.

shoping for other provider  now after 6 years vm  i whish it was different 

my speed and bill are fair for uk , VM negotiations  treated me well in financial costs ,but as most ,i value quality not QUANTITY the gimmick LARGE SELLING CROWBAR of offering everyone greater speed  is a cheap trick . a cunning stunt to say the least .

Quality Monitor on Virgin Media with rise in average latency and jitter at peak times for me now even when idle as in my graph this should be flat it was up to December
What is very telling now is the wide variation in the quality monitors recorded by Virgin Media customers now, perhaps highlighting local optical node issues (maybe affecting a couple of thousand in an area) through to routes onto the national core congesting. In short there appears to be no single overriding cause and that means even if DOCSIS 3.1 arrives to solve local DOCSIS based congestion more work and money will need to be spent on upgrading core infrastructure links and better peering.

i got no email note for reply as requested in tick box  .hence delayed response
Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 12.03.51.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-14 at 12.04.08.png

No problem, kudos is appreciated too Smiley Happy

Can you post your router status from the SH GUI (go to 192.168.100.1)? One of the VM team can also take a look at this and see if it's within acceptable ranges.

0 Kudos
Dcm12
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

dear tubulent priest so to hear you were defrocked i hope that the sins of vm will keep you occupied to avert you own

it works for me .

i do have a vm team member  calling monday where i will indeed present my findings on very poor quality noise ,  whilst im directed to speedtest.net for there analysis of a ip service to sheep  ggggrrrrrrrr of   i have very expensive test equipment industry standard  traceroute when attached to vm servers  show  poor speeds all at VM hubs who knows how they alter trafick

at this junctures but i can see the speeds and am constantly monitoring these  through ping plot / n trace route   ping plots a tool not the action

i post result of Mondays conversation

all best D

0 Kudos
Excellence20
Dialled in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM SH3 Router Status.png

Post the Status, Downstream and Upstream tables from here on the router status page.

Don't worry about blanking MAC addresses, this will be done automatically by the forum.

0 Kudos
Dcm12
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

i dont have comparisons

Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 13.33.12.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-14 at 13.35.54.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-14 at 13.36.23.png

0 Kudos

All Replies
Excellence20
Dialled in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

This could be due to utilzation on your network or in your area.

If you post the first part of your postcode or area and ask one of the forum team to look into it, they should be able to tell you if your area is over-utilized.

Alternatively, try disconnecting all devices on your network and run a ping test to Google's primary DNS 8.8.8.8 concurrently in Command Prompt (Windows). If you're getting latency spikes or consistent high latency it's likely the area that's over-utilized if the team have already checked your noise etc.

0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

... or there is noise on the upstream which the VM bods can check when they get to this thread in a week or so.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
Dcm12
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

excellence 20 thanks   for reply i basically agree you hit the nail on top . my post code is BR1 this is area 20 for VM service.

im in modem mode on a SH2 not the 3  brand new router  all reconfigured m any times to sort this ,hard wired  testing no wifi.

yes i have changed DNS ,tried couple no difference ,ifconfig  on terminal osx   (i have detailed tests ping plot) from pingplot a test tool . will post, not just thinkbroadband as  shown here the latency as is grade F the worst possible .i have  engineering department contacting me Monday ,waste of time  re . re. re. re .  ( the cash cow) me.

my speed and bill are fair for uk , VM negotiations  treated me well in financial costs ,but as most ,i value quality not QUANTITY the gimmick LARGE SELLING CROWBAR of offering everyone greater speed  is a cheap trick . a cunning stunt to say the least .

Quality Monitor on Virgin Media with rise in average latency and jitter at peak times for me now even when idle as in my graph this should be flat it was up to December
What is very telling now is the wide variation in the quality monitors recorded by Virgin Media customers now, perhaps highlighting local optical node issues (maybe affecting a couple of thousand in an area) through to routes onto the national core congesting. In short there appears to be no single overriding cause and that means even if DOCSIS 3.1 arrives to solve local DOCSIS based congestion more work and money will need to be spent on upgrading core infrastructure links and better peering.

0 Kudos
Excellence20
Dialled in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Dcm12 wrote:

No problem, kudos is appreciated too Smiley Happy

Can you post your router status from the SH GUI (go to 192.168.100.1)? One of the VM team can also take a look at this and see if it's within acceptable ranges.

0 Kudos
Dcm12
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

dear tubulent priest so to hear you were defrocked i hope that the sins of vm will keep you occupied to avert you own

it works for me .

i do have a vm team member  calling monday where i will indeed present my findings on very poor quality noise ,  whilst im directed to speedtest.net for there analysis of a ip service to sheep  ggggrrrrrrrr of   i have very expensive test equipment industry standard  traceroute when attached to vm servers  show  poor speeds all at VM hubs who knows how they alter trafick

at this junctures but i can see the speeds and am constantly monitoring these  through ping plot / n trace route   ping plots a tool not the action

i post result of Mondays conversation

all best D

0 Kudos
Dcm12
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

excellence 20  you are welcome .  which part of router status should i post ?

0 Kudos
Excellence20
Dialled in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM SH3 Router Status.png

Post the Status, Downstream and Upstream tables from here on the router status page.

Don't worry about blanking MAC addresses, this will be done automatically by the forum.

0 Kudos
Dcm12
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

i dont have comparisons

Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 13.33.12.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-14 at 13.35.54.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-14 at 13.36.23.png

0 Kudos