Menu
scarletp
Up to speed
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

laptop wifi speed poor after 70mbps speed upgrade

Hi

Recently updated to the media hub 3.0 and at the same time was upgraded from 20mbps to 70mbps.

I am currently using the hub as modem/router and all is fairly good but didn't notice any noticeable improvement in the laptop so I did a speed test and it fluctuates from 12 to a maximum of 28 whereas our mobiles produce 70 mbps.  It makes no improvement if I test the laptop in close proximity to the hub as opposed to the room I usually use it in.

I can only think the problem must be with the laptop as its wireless protocol is b.g.n and I think the media hub's 3.0 is ac.  

I have looked at various USB 3.0 adapters - some simply plug into the laptop and resemble a memory stick but others have an antennae and a lead which then plugs into to the laptop. I would be grateful for any help as I am not confident this would be the solution anyway?  Plus - is there anything I must be aware of in making my selection?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: laptop wifi speed poor after 70mbps speed upgrade

Hi scarletp,

Thanks for taking the time to post on the community.

Sorry to read there is not an improvement of speed on your laptop after upgrading.

I've checked your connection, the line and hub have come back as fine.

Have you tried a speed test on the laptop through a wired connection to see if there is a difference in speeds?

Regards

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
scarletp
Up to speed
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: laptop wifi speed poor after 70mbps speed upgrade

Hi Sam,

thanks for responding.

I had checked the speed with a cable and it was 70mbps so I knew the problem was not with the broadband or the line.

It appears my suspicions were correct ie. the laptops wireless protocol is b.g.n whilst the media hub's protocol is the latest 'ac'. 

I have bought an AC Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter which plugs into a 3.0 USB port on the laptop and hey presto am now getting full Wifi speed on the laptop. That is even though it's in a different room to the hub Smiley Happy  If anyone else decides to do this - I did find that initially after connecting and installing the adapter that the speed was much better but not the full 70.  I then went into the adapters settings in my device manager and tweaked the band to 5Ghz and altered the protocol to 'ac'.  That seemed to make all the difference.

Thank you

0 Kudos