Menu
vmdude
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

issues using VMware Horizon View on Virgin Media broadband

Hi

I'm speaking on behalf of 4 of my colleagues, who as of last Wednesday / Thursday, have reported that they can no longer use VMware Horizon View Client to connect to our on-premise Virtual Desktop Infrastructure.  Users on other service providers do not have this problem - we've actually had one of them lift and shift their equipment to another house with Tiscali and they connected straight away.

I suspect either there is some new traffic management in place, or a software/firmware change has been made to their Virgin hardware.

The ports used are 443 to authenticate (shouldn't imagine there should be an issue there as the user can authenticate with our servers), and 4172 and 50002 for PCOIP  - PC over IP.

I wanted to see if you had any advice, and also what would be the best way to get a resolution for my 4 colleagues, as obviously bar sitting in their homes and pretending to be them, I cannot raise this issue with their personal broadband connections on their behalf.  They're also not that technical.

Yes, I've checked with both our leased line providers (one is virgin for business, actually) that there are no issues and there aren't.  Our firewall has had no changes to it for ages either.

Cheers

0 Kudos
GITM
Joining in
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: issues using VMware Horizon View on Virgin Media broadband

I was working on a customer's environment using the Horizon client over my Virgin Media cable fine back in June this year; I've just tried and it's now timing out during the authentication.  Will be able to try from another network tomorrow to confirm it is my Virgin Media cable connection.

0 Kudos
SSingh1981
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I am having the exact same issue. I managed to use this fine last Thursday and now its stopped. 

To confirm, this is happening from three laptops at home. I have tried this from a SKY connection and its fine.

Has something changed??

I use this for work from home, so am desperate to get it working again. Can someone please assist?

0 Kudos
samsonite
Up to speed
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Holy thread revival - I suddenly started having this issue in the past week and can no longer work using Virgin Media (it works fine on a non-VM connection).  Shame there was no answer to this in the past 2 years...

Come back:
0 Kudos
Richard-Area20
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Another thread revival - as this has just started happening to me as of Tuesday, August 5th. Initially thought it was something up with my work's remote access, but if I disconnect from the home network and tether to a mobile it works fine.

I've tried disabling the virus / child safe options, but still can't connect - I get a black screen in the Horizon client for about 30 seconds, then it drops saying there was a network timeout - I'm guessing a reply of some sort from VDI to client fails to get through.

Anyone know if there's a specific port we can forward, or at the very least if anything has change on VirginMedia's side from a network security perspective?

Rich

0 Kudos
samsonite
Up to speed
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It has been working for me since I played around with the firewall settings in advanced options on the Super Hub.

Come back:
0 Kudos
Richard-Area20
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I don't suppose you know what firewall changes you made? I've tried adding to rules to allow tcp/udp 4172 (PCoIP) but no joy - even turned off firewall protection completely for a very quick test and no luck Smiley Sad

Thanks in advance!

Richard

0 Kudos