jk001d7182
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

iplayer stopped working

BBC iPlayer only works in the UK
Sorry, it’s due to rights issues.
In the UK? Here’s some advice.

Iplayer now seems to think I am outside the UK when in modem only mode using an asus rt-87u router, I have reflashed the firmware on the router and set every back to defaults, NO VPN is being used, I only made these changes after the fault developed to rule out possible issues. Everything was working earlier this week (W/C 16/01/17)

any help appreciated.

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: iplayer stopped working

you'll need to contact BBC and get them to update whatever geo database they use. IP addresses do not hvae locations attached to them and sites that limit access do so using 3rd party database that can often be wrong.
0 Kudos
jk001d7182
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

1st thing I did

0 Kudos
jk001d7182
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

whatsmy ip reports a valid virginmedia UK ip address (this info was removed from my original post)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

your in the UK. your have a IP on virginmedia in the UK. clearly its not a VM fault. I hate that companies like BBC think they are so powerful they can block people and not admit its there fault to fix.

If i want to block everyone that lives in a house with the number 7 in it can i demand all ISP give me all IP address of people that are allowed on my site that do not live in a house with the number 7 in the address.

NO!!! so why the hell should the BBC be different
0 Kudos
jk001d7182
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It's  a bit strange that if I take the router out of the equation it works. I reported it to BBC last night but there is a 2 week  response time.

0 Kudos
jk001d7182
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have managed to get a temporary solution by changing my routers MAC address and acquiring a different IP address.

Is there any way Virgin Media could give the BBC their full range of IP addresses so this does not happen in the future?

P.S. I am still awaiting a reply from BBC iplayer support

0 Kudos
jk001d7182
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Update from BBC iplayer support

"

Thank you for getting in touch with us.

I'm sorry to hear you've been unable to access BBC iPlayer on any of your devices recently, as iPlayer believes incorrectly that you're outside of the UK.

We passed you case on to our technical team, and they've confirmed that there was an issue with your IP address which was causing iPlayer to misread where you are located.

Our technical team update their IP database every Wednesday, so they've scheduled to update the geographical location of your IP address this coming Wednesday (1st February). This means that, from next Wednesday, iPlayer should recognise your IP address as within the UK and you should have full access to iPlayer again.

Again, I'm sorry to hear that you've been blocked out of BBC iPlayer for the past while, but hopefully this issue should be resolved as of next Wednesday. Very occasionally, issues like these can occur which block audience members from accessing iPlayer content so thank you for your patience, and for getting in touch with us to let us know that you've been having this issue."

So had I not sorted this out myself, I would have been without iplayer connectivity for 2 weeks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

"Our technical team update their IP database every Wednesday, so they've scheduled to update the geographical location of your IP address this coming Wednesday (1st February). This means that, from next Wednesday, iPlayer should recognise your IP address as within the UK and you should have full access to iPlayer again"

Finally BBC admit they control the Geo database. 

Also not sure who you expected to fix it other then you. the problem was between you and the BBC

0 Kudos