Menu
TJ2011
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

internet wifi drops

i live in the leeds area 22.

i have a desktop 4 yrs old  it is hooked up by wifi

i have a netgear booster that shows i have full signal.i have a hub 2 i have had no problems with my wifi connection before ...but

for the last two weeks  my internet (i think the term is drops out) . i am getting all sorts of errors messages  and cannot connect to the net something breaks ...then for short times like this...i am able to connect ...but i have to be fast and copy and save everything i write in case when i click post  it drops out and i have lost all i have written.

i thought at first it was just my email  i got 'check the address is right 'or 'this address doesn't exist ' 'page is not available' ...when eventually, using the same link, i could log in.????

it is happening so often  it is driving me wild

i have unplugged everything switch the switch on the hub i  cannot plug my desk top in with a wire cos it is in another room.  i have no idea how to fix this i dont know what you will need me to do but if you give me clear easy steps i will do it.

i am so fed up with this  am thinking of other options before i do i want to try and fix this ...any help at all i would really apreciate it thanks ..Teejay

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: internet wifi drops

Hello Teejay

I am sorry you are having problems with the internet dropping. I checked the line and hub just in case there was something else going on but they are looking good, showing continuously online for the last 4 days. Such a shame it was working but then stopped, it may be down to interference, perhaps a channel change will help Changing your Virgin Media Hub's wireless channel

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
TJ2011
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou so much for getting back to me...

since i posted it has not been so bad ....am still scared of breathing around it ....

I will have a look and try what you have suggested thankyou once again

TJ.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No worries TJ, wireless can be such a pain at times, there are other ways to connect by the way if you unable to run an Ethernet lead What is Powerline? but fully appreciate it may not be worth spending money.

Fingers crossed

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
TJ2011
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

hi nicola

i saw that on a mini video i think... the plug in one would work a treat .i live in a bungalow  and although i am getting a not so bad reception at the moment it lags behind a lot.... and buffers.

i could not find out the answers to a few questions about the plug in kit.  i was wondering if you would mind answering them if you can or letting me know where and who to ask

my first question is i have a super hub   will the extra outlet 1200+ work with my hub.

would i have to register  this kit when it is plugged into the hub  or change anything at all with my hub or does it just plug in and off you go.

and am i buying this  or renting it from virgin...  Yes i know... i am as thick as two short planks

thanks again for your help and great suggestion.

0 Kudos
TJ2011
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

ok my wifi did the  drop thing  this is what i get from the inssider thingy when it happens... ???

when things are more normal my link score is 100 and with no overlapping...but when it drops i have nothing...

[IMG]http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb321/teejay53/april/virginmedia_zpss17jejlv.jpg[/IMG]

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello TJ

Shame it dropped again, the thing about Inssider is for normal use it relies on the wireless adaptor on the device it is running on so if that fails it may look like there are no networks transmitting, also it does not actually show what is happening on the wireless frequencies it just shows what the wireless protocol is reporting, in other words it will not show radio interference just what devices are connected and where, all a bit limiting really.

I will do my best with your power adaptor questions lol

my first question is i have a super hub   will the extra outlet 1200+ work with my hub.

I do not have personal experience of them but as far as we know this will work with your hub, I have asked our trials team and we have no bad reports. Not sure if anybody reading this is using one and would be kind enough to post to let you know of their experiences.

would i have to register  this kit when it is plugged into the hub  or change anything at all with my hub or does it just plug in and off you go.

You will not have to register it to use it but there is a little set up procedure to get the two adaptors securely talking to each other, we have a guide to help here Setting up and securing a Powerline network

and am i buying this  or renting it from virgin...  Yes i know... i am as thick as two short planks

Buying, lol I do not think you are thick for what it is worth, clever people I have observed tend to ask lots of questions and are rarely certain Smiley Happy

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
LizAver
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

I have a similar problem. I use a wireless connection to my laptop and especially in the last couple of months, my connections drops on a regular basis. This is especially frustrating as I use my laptop for work, including Skype. I do not know what to do as I don't know where the problem lies.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Elisabeth

0 Kudos
TJ2011
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

i searched and finally came across this   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2gY-mgCJ50

if you watch this you tube it may help ....my save energy box was checked 

it has helped me so far ( i hope i haven't jinxed myself by saying that)

some sites are still hard or slow to get on but i was loosing google for crying out loud ..now i am not Fingers X for you.

0 Kudos
LizAver
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you! I unchecked the power energy box. Hopefully it works. Thanks for helping!

0 Kudos