Menu
fionamarie
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

internet keeps dropping out

Our internet Upto 200mbps, keeps dropping out since before christmas, can anyone advise?

WN4 area

0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: internet keeps dropping out

What's actually happening?

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
Be nice, eat all your vegetables and keep your room tidy.
0 Kudos
fionamarie
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

just been chatting to prakash on online chat, and he told me to factory restore the hub, have followed his instructions and when I test speed its even worse, should be upto 200mbps and now we have 47mbps

tested again http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5917576511

0 Kudos
fionamarie
Tuning in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Now we get TEST TIMED OUT! Great! Merry Christmas to all at VIRGIN MEDIA!
0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

How have they left it? Is an engineer booked?

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
Be nice, eat all your vegetables and keep your room tidy.
0 Kudos
fionamarie
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

No, prior to resetting hub to factory settings, they had offered to book an engineer, although I have had engineers out in the past and they said there is no fault.

What could cause the internet dropping out?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Are you ezperiencing the dropouts on a wired or wireless connection?

It is important to determine whether the internet connection between the hub and VM's servers is dropping or it is just the wireless dropping.

So you will need to test on a wired connection if not already done so.

0 Kudos
fionamarie
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

we are experiencing dropouts on a wireless connection

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It would be advisable to test on a wired connection just to confirm that it is not the connection between your hub is not disconnecting. However, wireless can be very prone to dropouts.

Wireless reception is affected by many factors like Range, Client hardware, the Topograpy of your home, and the big killer, Wireless interference.

First of all, I would ensure the Hub is placed in a central, open position, away from obstacles and electrical devices.

You could try changing the wireless channel manually. Downloading a wireless scanner like InSSIDer for Windows or WiFiAnalyser for Android would help by showing you the surrounding wireless networks, the channels they are broadcasting on, and their signal strengths, so you can select the best wireless channel.

Setting the Hub's radio setting to 300Mbps (or 40Mhz channel) is not advised on the 2.4GHz band as it takes up over half of the available spectrum, making it prone to wireless interference..

I would also check for other sources of wireless interference such as A\V streaming devices, Baby monitors, Chordless phones, Microwave ovens, Plasma TVs, Security systems, etc.

Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it.

0 Kudos
fionamarie
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

i've installed the inSSIDer Home and it says "your link score would improve by moving it onto Channel 11"  I haven't got a clue how to do this.

"Using the wider, usually less congested 5Ghz band could help, if your client devices support it." how do i do this?

0 Kudos