Menu
acharris76
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

iTunes "network connection lost" error message, everything else works

I keep on getting an error message on iTunes saying that the network connection has been lost, but there is nothing wrong with the network connection and it means that downloading app updates or new albums from the iTunes store is almost impossible.

Up until a few months ago, everything worked fine.

I spoke to technical support who said it had something to do with the number of devices on my home network, but that doesn't explain why if I connect my computer to another internet service, iTunes works fine.

No other problems with anything on my home network or with any other service I use, e.g. Netflix, Amazon Video or Sky Q.

I have tried changing the DNS servers but that didn't help.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Ever_Hopeful
Joining in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: iTunes "network connection lost" error message, everything else works

The problem seems to be with Virgin Media's DNS servers. iTunes works fine while Google's Public DNS servers (primary: 8.8.8.8  secondary: 8.8.4.4).

Apparently, iTunes requires all of the following domains to be resolved correctly to work properly:-

phobos.apple.com
deimos3.apple.com
albert.apple.com
gs.apple.com
itunes.apple.com
ax.itunes.apple.com

Currently, the following appear to time out when using Virgin Media's DNS servers (but, crucially, not when using Google's Public DNS servers):-

phobos.apple.com
albert.apple.com
gs.apple.com

Hopefully a Virgin Media staff member will escalate this issue so that the DNS entries can be corrected.

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas,
Ever_Hopeful

0 Kudos
acharris76
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: iTunes "network connection lost" error message, everything else works

Thanks for the reply - I have changed my DNS settings and hopefully that will cure the problem.

Happy new year to you!

Anthony 

0 Kudos