Menu
Samt2062
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

iPad Wifi issue

Hi, sorry if this particular topic has been discussed, I couldn't find an existing thread that was for the same issue. My Super Hub is misbehaving and keeps dropping wifi connection, but only to iPads. The broadband connection is good, the TiVo works fine as does my PS4 which is connected by an Ethernet cable. My Dad's Samsung Galaxy connects and stays constant, as does my iPhone, but both mine and my partners IPads have difficulty connecting, or staying connected. My network always appears in wifi settings but will not always allow me to connect, sometimes it will keep asking for the passcode but despite being available it simply won't allow me to connect. I have the channel set to 11 to try and avoid interference, if I set it to 5ghz then the connection is fine but it leaves the PS4 redundant so is not an ideal fix. I've had the Super Hub for a few years and the iPad has been fine for a year or so but this issue has crept up in the last few months. I've checked all settings on the iPads, I've reset them, reset the settings, reset the super hub, tried every obvious (to me) fix I could think of but I'm now at a loss, can anyone help, please? Cheers

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: iPad Wifi issue

thats the SH1 so start with a call to retentions and get it upgraded - free to postage of £5.99 - tell them the wifi is dire and not working with various devices - they should send a new one - swap it over and see if that cures the problem - if not post back

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - you are thinking of leaving us - dont worry about that they do much more - open 'till 8pm - 6pm on saturdays - closed sunday and the plus is its a UK call centre

Tony

All Replies
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Samt2062,

Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear you're having trouble with iPads.

It sounds like the ipads are incompatible with certain settings on your wireless and are dropping in and out. I would suggest first of all changing the wireless security type on the hub to WPA2 PSK AES instead of the default WPA2 Auto. I'd also suggest picking a wireless channel rather than leaving it on auto. If I recall correctly some apple products couldn't use channels 12 and 13 though I would've thought this was no longer the case. 

Give those suggestions a go and let us know how you get on. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Samt2062
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for your reply. I've tried a different security type, I've also set the channel to 9, alas the 2.4ghz simply will not work with the iPads, but it does work on our phones, I've switched the router to 5ghz and that works perfectly except it renders my PS4 useless. Our Superhub is only capable of broadcasting 1 frequency unlike the newer hub which I believe can do both simultaneously?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

thats the SH1 so start with a call to retentions and get it upgraded - free to postage of £5.99 - tell them the wifi is dire and not working with various devices - they should send a new one - swap it over and see if that cures the problem - if not post back

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - you are thinking of leaving us - dont worry about that they do much more - open 'till 8pm - 6pm on saturdays - closed sunday and the plus is its a UK call centre

Tony
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

...and to add to the good advice given by @-tony-, the replacement Superhub you get will be able to service 2.4GHz and 5GHz devices concurrently, unlike the Superhub 1.

Samt2062
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the advice, it's very much appreciated Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Laura60b
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi.

i have the same issue with iPad dropping wifi. I changed to the new super hub and it doesn't make any difference. Still keeps dropping on ipad. All other devices are ok. Any ideas on what to try next? Thanks 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey Laura60b,

Thanks for getting in touch with us, hope you're well Smiley Happy

Sorry to hear about the wireless connection problems you're experiencing. Can you confirm if you've tried a few different wireless channels? Often this will improve problems caused by wireless interference. Please get back in touch with us so we can help further.

Thanks,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
BenBenBen
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have found the cause of this issue on my iOS devices.  Maybe worth checking if the same applies to you?

Full details here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Apple-iOS-ipad-iPhone-etc-device-no-internet...

short way to check, go to the wifi settings in iOS, on the connection to your router that press the info icon.

If the "router" setting is any number other than 192.168.0.1 then this is the problem and can be fixed by following my instructions in the link above

0 Kudos