Menu
franby
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

help needed connecting to wireless printer

Hi There,

I just got connected to Virgin Media and my old broadband connection is now unplugged. Although my computer and phone are now connected to the new virgin SSID, my wireless Brother printer is not seeing the new virgin SSID so I can't connect to the printer to print anything. Does anyone know how I can get the printer to see the Virgin SSID? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
pegatron
Tuning in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: help needed connecting to wireless printer

Hi there, Isit a Superhub 3 you have? Ive came accross this with the superhub 3.

The hub 3 combines both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks together and some devices struggle to see / connect to this. a fix for this would be splitting your networks - Renaming one to "vm12345-2G" and the other "vm1234-5G" -  As far as i can see you cant do it through the config pages of the hub so would need to call,150 or 0345 454 1111 and Speak to technical support who should be able to do this for you.

Hope this helps

MailUser
Dialled in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

All Replies
pegatron
Tuning in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there, Isit a Superhub 3 you have? Ive came accross this with the superhub 3.

The hub 3 combines both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks together and some devices struggle to see / connect to this. a fix for this would be splitting your networks - Renaming one to "vm12345-2G" and the other "vm1234-5G" -  As far as i can see you cant do it through the config pages of the hub so would need to call,150 or 0345 454 1111 and Speak to technical support who should be able to do this for you.

Hope this helps

MailUser
Dialled in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If a Hub 3 have you tried pressing the WPS button on hub and immediately the WifI button on printer ? - on my Brother HL-L2340DW it automatically connects to the router. However, be aware that a number of people have reported difficulties with wireless printing on the "new" Hub 3.

I have the problem whereby the printer is only seen once on my ipad or android phone before the printer "disappears" after the first time of printing and then isn't seen again until you power printer off and on again. However on my Win10 laptop it works every time.

0 Kudos
MailUser
Dialled in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

franby
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for your advice. I immediately called customer services and after 2 hours of mega frustration and trying not to shout and scream in exasperation - I explained to the customer service representative that it was actually a very simple problem that would be solved by making the SSID visible by splitting the networks. I had already mentioned this to him at the start of the call but he dismissed it straight away as I don't think he really understood what I said. Anyway long story short he did split the networks so now I guess I can only get 2.5Ghz connection unless I sign in to the 5Ghz network connection but then I can't print anything. It's far more complicated than it should be but thats life isn't it! Anyway I really appreciate your advice on this you were spot on. Thank you.

franby
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks mailUser. This explains why I still can't print from my iPhone then. I can't believe that I was daft enough to take for granted that virgin media would be able to support airprinting in this day and age - how stupid of me!!! My humble old plusnet broadband was pretty rubbish sometimes connection wise but at least it could support my modern devices. Thanks for your replys. I do appreciate it.

0 Kudos
pegatron
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Glad you got it in the end!

Have done this with a lot of customers + seems to make even the wifi signal abit better aswell.

Does the printer pick up the 5G network? If not then its simply not compatible with 5G!

2.4Ghz imo is the better connection. Can spread out more within the house, doesn't have as good speeds as you would get on the 5Ghz but how much faster can google load? :-)

Glad to have helped and hope it helps other people aswell
0 Kudos
Andy_O
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

pegatron wrote:

Hope this helps

If this has worked for anyone please can they let me know, thanks - send direct to andy at osira dot co dot uk 

0 Kudos
Eils1945
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have spent 2days on the phone to Virgin about this problem and got no where. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear this Eils1945,

I can see via a separate thread that things have since been resolved.

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos