Menu
alanesq
Joining in
Message 1 of 34
Flag for a moderator

forced upgrade to hub 3.0

Hi,

I have just received a letter from Virgin stating that if I do not contact you by end of April to request an upgrade to a hub 3.0 I will be disconnected and my contract terminated.

Can you assure me that by requesting this upgrade I will not be entering myself in to any fixed term contract please, as I am finding the charges unacceptably high these days so plan to look at the possibility of moving in the near future?

i.e. I am concerned that this may be a trick to tie me in to Virgin for the next 18 months.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Re: forced upgrade to hub 3.0

This is not a trick. it is technical. VM are moving people off the old legacy DOCSIS 1\2 networks to free up space and to allow for future technologies.

As for tying you into a new contract, I do not think it does, you will need to contact VM for an authorative answer, either by waiting here about until a VM Forum Team Member picks up the thread, or give them a call on 151 from a VM line or 0345 454 1111 for a quicker response, and ask for confirmation in writing.

0 Kudos
alanesq
Joining in
Message 3 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.
I will wait for a reply here as I do not have a Virgin phone so will I believe be charged 10p a minute to phone that number from my mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 34
Flag for a moderator

There isn't a new minimum term for this kit change.

Also the 0345 number is charged at the same rate as 01 and 02 numbers, and is covered by any landline minutes you have in your mobile plan.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
alanesq
Joining in
Message 5 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - that is good news

btw - I don't have any free minutes on my mobile so if I try to phone Virgin it can end up costing me a fortune.....

0 Kudos
alanesq
Joining in
Message 6 of 34
Flag for a moderator

I have tried several times to request the upgrade online but when I click the final submit button it just takes me back to the start page?

i.e. http://virginmedia.com/hubupgrade

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi alanesq, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have had trouble contacting us to get this issue resolved. 

From what I can see a Superhub 3 Has now been ordered for you. 

Apologies that we did not get to you here sooner. Is there anything else I can take a look at for you?

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
alanesq
Joining in
Message 8 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply

yes, I eventually after many tried did manage to order one. 
The request page seems really odd in that it seems to take you back to the start page with no message or anything but if you scroll right down the page it is trying to continue with the request.............

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi alanesq, 

Thanks for getting back to me, apologies for that I will feed that back for you. 

If you need to contact us again we will always be more than happy to help out were we can. 

Please do be aware if it is urgent we can take a couple of days to get back to you here. 

If you are having trouble with contacting us over the phone we do have a webchat team 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
alanesq
Joining in
Message 10 of 34
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I installed my new hub 3.0 yesterday and after spending a couple of hours trying to get it to work I gave in and phoned the helpline.  An automated message informed me that I needed to activate the new hub, after doing this it then started working.  If the instructions had made it clear that I needed to do this it would have saved me a lot of stress.

It is now working but despite going from a very old 20Mb hub to this v3.0 hub and my expecting a MASSIVE jump in broadband speed - it seems to be pretty much exactly the same speed as before?
btw - I have it in modem mode, using my existing wifi router

I tested the speed on http://www.zdnet.com/broadband-speedtest/ and it reports 15Mb

I just ran a system diagnosis test on the Virgin hub and it reports "No internet connectivity, Please contact your operator", but I can access the internet - so I am a bit confused there.

btw - the light on the hub 3.0 seems to be red/blue, the instructions say it should be white

0 Kudos