Menu
aurrian
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

faulty router?

I am on vivid 200 broadband package.  Experienced user with some networking skills.

I normally have the superhub 2 in modem mode connected to Asus router and rest of my gigabit LAN.

Over past month or 2 have had a few internet outages and had to do some rebooting eventually everything works. 

Then last night internet dropped, online diagnostics showed no errors - the lights on router all as they should be - several reboots did not help.

I tried putting the superhub into router mode - initially did not work - then voila - all working LAN and wifi etc!! But only for 10 mins - then dropped out again - now not working in modem mode or normal router mode.

I tried using my old superhub1 - this did not work either.

Call tech support last night - went through the usual rebooting rigmarole (made sure i left it off for the full 30seconds !) they then told me they would send a server reset signal and try after 2 hours - when tech support closed.  Still no joy.

At work today - called them again and they cannot help as they want to run more tests and me to report the status of the lights, so i have to call again this evening.  They confirmed that my superhub 1 will not work as it will have been deactivated.

I'm pretty sure i have identified the router as the problem - it does not work in modem or router mode.  I cannot connect even with a laptop using defined IP address in correct range directly wired into the router - I can still access the router settings on 192.168.100.1 

Surely I need an engineer visit or a replacement modem as the next step?  My wife relies on the internet as she works from home.  Telephone technical support are clearly following a scripted flowchart and are not allowed or willing to listen to what i am telling them.

I will obviously go home this evening and call again and go through the motions, but feel i'm not getting anywhere fast.  I have been reading through the forum looking for suggestions, and the mods on here seem to be listening to customers and giving sensible answers and solutions - so i thought i would try posting here for some help.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
aurrian
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: faulty router?

Enigineer couldnt figure out what was going on but very helpful and replaced corroded connectors outside house - ran line tests and all ok and modem reported as connected during red down times on the BQM.  Did mention something might be wrong in one of my network switches which got me thinking.

When internet went down this time - i managed to get connection with laptop plugged direct into modem (which did not work before).

So i stared a process of elimination and realised the network stopped working when i plugged in a switch i had downstairs for A/V kit.  With that disconnected everything is fine!

So there is a problem with cables or the switch or the configuration of some of the AV kit.  It's all working now on wifi so no need for ethernet in that room.

It all makes sense now - the red down-times correspond to times when TV etc on.  Something must have been going wrong and creating a loop or somehow overloading the router and knocking out the whole network.

Hope this helps someone else, and thanks to the technicians who helped me get there in the end.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi aurrian,

My suggestion would be to bypass the offshore call centres who only work to useless scripts and to call the UK based team dealing with Retentions ... they can deal with a whole lot more.  During normal office hours phone 150 from a VM phone or 0345 454 1111 on any other phone and follow the various prompts to 'Thinking of leaving us'  1  >  4  >  5

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
aurrian
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Dave

It seems like a shame to have to threaten to leave to get something sorted out!  Been a premium customer for 10 years and never bother technical support at all.

I'll give them another 24 hours to get it sorted out and then do what you suggest.  In fact, I might well just switch to sky as i'm sure i'd get a cheaper package!

0 Kudos
aurrian
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

update:

I got uk call centre that day

they agreed to send engineer, who arrived this evening, and changed the modem - new SH2.

Was working intermittently with direct ethernet connection, but nto in modem mode

called back service centre.

on phone for 1 hour with overseas tech support who concluded it wasnt working and arranged engineer visit

i called hoping to get engineer tomorrow (saturday) as i will be at home but next appt tuesday and next time i can be home is wed evening.

clearly something wrong between SH2 and cabinet.

TV and phone are fine.  When the connection was there it was solid 200Mb.

I have a box on wall outside house which splits to 2 cables - 1 goes to the TV1 and TV2 the other goes to office and modem  is that the problem?  Or in the cabinet? 

Really annoyed. Wasted afternoon waiting for engineer and evening with online tech support.

0 Kudos
aurrian
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Update:

Internet still dropping out, seems to be mainly in evening, was workign well all day yesterday until 4pm or so.  Online again now.  I've set up a thinkbroadband quality ping to look for patterns.  I'm getting postRS errors - think that suggests connection quality poor?

Just started the thinkbroadband graph - so too soon to see any results yet.

down13-11_14-40.JPGnetlog1.JPGup 13-11_14-40.JPG

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The quantity of post RS errors are those seen during the reboot of a Superhub.

I suggest you reset the counter and see if there are any real ones.

aurrian
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

thanks - just done that

0 Kudos
aurrian
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

So looks like packet loss at peak times.  Will keep monitoring.

What causes this?

My Broadband Ping - damian Nov 2016 

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

My interpretation of that BQM would be that the red areas represent total disconnection from the service not simply some packet loss.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Were you in modem mode during the red blocks?

Modem mode gives you a bew IP address, so you will need to start a new BQM.

Otherwise, the graph is nigh on perfect.

0 Kudos