Menu
jonbeck73
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

ebay very slow

I'm an ebay seller and am getting dire performance when accessing ebay and specifically when adding or revising listings - I am not noticing any other issues outside of ebay.  Speedtest.net confirms I am getting a 68Mbps download and 4.96Mbps upload speed. I have a standard configuration Vigin Media Wifi Super Hub. Results from tracert are shown below. Can anyone advise where the issue lies?:- 

C:\>tracert www.ebay.com

Tracing route to e9428.b.akamaiedge.net [104.82.246.162]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 8 ms 10 ms 11 ms glfd-core-2a-xe-801-0.network.virginmedia.net [80.7.14.1]
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 10 ms 11 ms 14 ms telw-ic-3-ae4-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.250.14.110]
5 14 ms 14 ms 27 ms 174.84-254-62.static.virginmediabusiness.co.uk [62.254.84.174]
6 22 ms 13 ms 17 ms a104-82-246-162.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com [104.82.246.162]

Trace complete.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
rox-roc
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: ebay very slow

I've found the same, ebay is extremely slow when trying to upload pictures and revise listings using both internet explorer and firefox.  However, after checking the ebay discussion boards, and finding that lots of virgin media customers were finding the same, I saw one person suggested using a different web browser: Opera, which has a vpn option, which you need to activate. I downloaded it, and am able to do listings normally again, so worth a try.

0 Kudos
mrwhitti
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi , i will explain for you so there is no need for additional information.

For the past 2 weeks access to ebay for buyers & sellers alike has at time been very slow, non responsive & intermittent with pages timing out.

Access to ALL (and i do mean ALL) other websites are unaffected.

The version of windows, browser, LAN or Wireless does not matter as the problems occur on all of them. Since Sunday 12th March the situation has been getting more frequent and for the past few days accessing ebay has been very very slow to impossible between 9am & 10pm. These times are spot on and accurate as before 9am the access & speed is fine & fast and the same after 10pm. For a few days there were a few few times i managed to get access by changing the DNS settings on my windows IP to the google DNS or any other free DNS however this has now stopped making a difference. The only way to get the fast & proper access is to use the latest OPERA BROWSER which has a built in VPN, once installed & VPN enabled access to ebay is fine.

For your information we had a similar problem last year which was picked up on and sorted fairly quickly because the DNS/ROUTING problem caused no access at all and both VIRGIN & EBAY were blaming each other for the fault however i am sure the thousands of complaints and the fact that it went national press & tech websites and social media forced communication between both parties and the problem was resolved.

I have included some links for you below to confirm there is a very serious problem and we would like someone to acknowledge this and get it sorted as you will see from the hundreds of comments many ebay sellers are seeing a sharp & overnight drop in sales simply because buyers cannot access the site

3G & 4G mobile access ( not over WiFi ) seems unaffected.

http://downdetector.co.uk/problems/ebay

http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Business-Seller-Board/eBay-running-very-slow-messages-listings-etc/m-...

http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Business-Seller-Board/hi-has-anyone-else-s-sales-just-died-off-i-ve-f...

All Replies
whyowhyowhy
Up to speed
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

There are threads on the ebay forums showing that Virgin Media customers are having problems with ebay (I am as well - hardly worth even opening the website and don't get me started on how long messages take to open) - but of course Virgin blame ebay and ebay blame Virgin. 

The truth is that neither of them care.  

0 Kudos
rox-roc
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I've found the same, ebay is extremely slow when trying to upload pictures and revise listings using both internet explorer and firefox.  However, after checking the ebay discussion boards, and finding that lots of virgin media customers were finding the same, I saw one person suggested using a different web browser: Opera, which has a vpn option, which you need to activate. I downloaded it, and am able to do listings normally again, so worth a try.

0 Kudos
jonbeck73
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for suggesting a helpful workaround.

Like you (and others) I would like Virgin Media to take some responsibility over this issue as I'm paying for a service which is clearly not fit for purpose.

0 Kudos
mrwhitti
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi , i will explain for you so there is no need for additional information.

For the past 2 weeks access to ebay for buyers & sellers alike has at time been very slow, non responsive & intermittent with pages timing out.

Access to ALL (and i do mean ALL) other websites are unaffected.

The version of windows, browser, LAN or Wireless does not matter as the problems occur on all of them. Since Sunday 12th March the situation has been getting more frequent and for the past few days accessing ebay has been very very slow to impossible between 9am & 10pm. These times are spot on and accurate as before 9am the access & speed is fine & fast and the same after 10pm. For a few days there were a few few times i managed to get access by changing the DNS settings on my windows IP to the google DNS or any other free DNS however this has now stopped making a difference. The only way to get the fast & proper access is to use the latest OPERA BROWSER which has a built in VPN, once installed & VPN enabled access to ebay is fine.

For your information we had a similar problem last year which was picked up on and sorted fairly quickly because the DNS/ROUTING problem caused no access at all and both VIRGIN & EBAY were blaming each other for the fault however i am sure the thousands of complaints and the fact that it went national press & tech websites and social media forced communication between both parties and the problem was resolved.

I have included some links for you below to confirm there is a very serious problem and we would like someone to acknowledge this and get it sorted as you will see from the hundreds of comments many ebay sellers are seeing a sharp & overnight drop in sales simply because buyers cannot access the site

3G & 4G mobile access ( not over WiFi ) seems unaffected.

http://downdetector.co.uk/problems/ebay

http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Business-Seller-Board/eBay-running-very-slow-messages-listings-etc/m-...

http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Business-Seller-Board/hi-has-anyone-else-s-sales-just-died-off-i-ve-f...

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hey jonbeck73,

Thanks for posting and a big welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear that you're having difficulties accessing eBay. From your Trace Route I can see you're not using the UK site, do you have the same problems if you access the UK version of eBay?

Please get back to us so we can continue to investigate.

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
jonbeck73
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response Heather; it's really appreciated.

Good spot; yes, it would have helped if I'd included the correct tracert output in my original post (!)

Here is the tracert output to ebay.co.uk - clearly something is amiss:-

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]
(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\>tracert ebay.co.uk

Tracing route to ebay.co.uk [66.211.185.77]

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 1893 ms 88 ms 141 ms glfd-core-2a-xe-801-0.network.virginmedia.net [80.7.14.1]
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 20 ms 18 ms 15 ms tclo-ic-3-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.250.25.62]
7 55 ms 16 ms 27 ms 40ge1-3.core1.lon2.he.net [195.66.224.21]
8 33 ms 74 ms 40 ms 100ge7-1.core1.fra1.he.net [184.105.80.38]
9 31 ms 30 ms 31 ms ebay-inc.10gigabitethernet13-7.core1.fra1.he.net [216.66.88.182]
10 177 ms * 167 ms 216.113.190.34
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.

0 Kudos
Korrupt
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I too run an Ebay business and I must say I have experienced severe problems in accessing the Ebay.co.uk website on Virgin Media in the last three weeks. The pages take an eternity to load and there's no doubt that this issue is affecting the sales of all Ebay sellers in the UK. It needs to be sorted as soon as possible.

I realise I may be inadvertently hijacking this thread but I felt it necessary to post my own tracert with Ebay.co.uk to emphasise the problem:

Tracing route to ebay.co.uk [66.135.211.132]

1 3 ms 2 ms 1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 13 ms 11 ms 14 ms 10.21.40.1
3 12 ms 16 ms 13 ms wolv-core-2a-xe-222-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.73.213]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms telw-ic-4-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.84.70]
9 39 ms 26 ms 24 ms 40ge1-3.core1.lon2.he.net [195.66.224.21]
10 34 ms 34 ms 39 ms 100ge7-1.core1.fra1.he.net [184.105.80.38]
11 * 33 ms 34 ms ebay-inc.10gigabitethernet13-7.core1.fra1.he.net [216.66.88.182]
12 167 ms 174 ms * 216.113.190.34
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * *

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello both,

Thanks for the additional info Smiley Happy

I've tried to find links here, but you're both in completely different areas and using different equipment etc, so I'm going to need to do a bit more digging to find out what the cause of this fault is.

I'll get back to you as soon as I have some new info.

Thanks for your patience with this,

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Jono777
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to let you know. Virgin Media is also my ISP & I've found a solution for anyone using a PC who is experiencing really slow eBay messaging...& sometimes timing out waiting for the page to load. Really annoying if you have 10 messages to reply to - takes up to half an hour!

I have been using Firefox, Chrome, IE, Opera & Pale Moon - all slow.

Then I read that the new Opera browser has an inbuilt VPN you can download it here http://www.opera.com/blogs/desktop/2016/04/free-vpn-integrated-opera-for-windows-mac/

What is a VPN? A VPN or Virtual Private Network is a method used to add security and privacy to private and public networks, like WiFi Hotspots and the Internet. VPNs are most often used by corporations to protect sensitive data.

This solved the slow messaging problem immediately. I still don't know who's is to blame but this work around worked for me & lots of others with the same problem. Also Opera is a better browser so give it a go & tell your friends because I've told eBay & they have not mentioned it on their announcement board so I doubt they will as it's not affecting everyone.

0 Kudos