Menu
Bezzer49
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

easy equipment upgrade option for existing customers?

Been a virgin superfast broadband user for a few years and still using the original modem and router that were supplied.

Why is the newer equipment (hub 3.0 for example) only made available to existing customers by having to use the (imo) underhanded approach of going through the 'so you're thinking of leaving us' option just to be offered it as a sweetener or if that fails, by paying extra for it?

If the whole point of the service is to get you the fastest speeds possible for your money, then shouldn't older equipment be upgraded by Virgin as standard...or at very least, by an easily accessible request option to meet those measures...bearing in mind that the equipment is part of the subscription and remains the property of Virgin anyway?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: easy equipment upgrade option for existing customers?

The SH2s are quite capable of handling VM's top package speeds? However, you will need the hub3 to take advantage of the 300Mbps tier, due to load balancing, provided you are connected to a CMTS that uses 16 downstream channels rather than the usual 8. When VM have upgraded their CMTSs to 16 channels and/or when DOCSIS 3.1 starts making an apperance, then customers will be upgraded, but there is no need for a mass upgrade at the moment.

There is no wireless speed difference between the SH2AC and Hub 3 as they both support the 802.11AC standard.

I don't get why people think newer is better, perhaps it is new and shiny? Personally I would prefer to have the SH2AC rather than the Hub 3 as the Hub 3 still has firmware issues.

Bezzer49
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I don't have an sh2 either, I have a modem and d-link router which were provided when the top speeds were up to 50mbps. I don't have a problem with that as long as they can handle the new high speeds and I'm getting the full potential out of them, but I'm guessing I'm not alone in wondering if the new superhubs are that much better and I'm actually getting what I'm paying for, especially when my internet bill is just short of £650 per year.

For me (and many others who like me, aren't particularly tech minded when it comes to modems and routers) it's not about getting something just because it's new and shiny, it's about making sure I'm getting the best possible experience for my money.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

If you got the standalone modem then it looks like you are on the old DOCSIS 1/2 network and have missed out on a free update ages ago, and you definitely need to upgrade.

I would give Retentions (thinking of leaving us option) a ring in the morning and have a friendly chat, and they should send you out a newer hub and discuss your package options.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bezzer49

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch about the issues with your hub

Looking at this it does seem you have missed out on the option to upgrade for free in the past as @griffin has mentioned above.

For me to look into this a little further for you if you could get back in touch on the pm I'm sending to you that you can find in the envelope up by your forum name.

You can arrange this via our contact centres on the phone via 150 or 0345 454 1111. Alternatively our Webchat teams can also look into arranging this for you too.

I hope to hear back from you soon Smiley Happy

Karen

Virgin Media Forum Team

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos